1916 Trek to Jefferson Park

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
justpeachy

1916 Trek to Jefferson Park

Post by justpeachy » December 27th, 2012, 10:46 am

I came across this interesting article by Lewis A Arthur in the Oregonian archives. It's from October 8, 1916 and he describes traveling from Government Camp down to the Olallie Lake area and then into Jefferson Park. It was quite an undertaking back then!

There are two means of approach to the park, one being by wagon road and trail south from Government Camp to Breitenbush Lake, and thence over a rocky and precipitous series of mountain ridges for a distance of over five miles. There is no trail here and progress is made only with difficulty. The snowfields are extensive and a good guide is essential.

The other way is by railroad to Detroit, and thence by pack train up the North Santiam River and Whitewater Creek. After leaving the mouth of the latter stream, the trail is poor and hard to negotiate. To get into the park either way requires real work.
Also interesting is how the tale of this trip took up an entire page of the newspaper. I’ve come across this kind of thing several times in the archives. Reporting was VERY different 100 years ago than it is now!
Last edited by justpeachy on January 1st, 2013, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrianEdwards

Re: 1916 Trek to Jefferson Park

Post by BrianEdwards » December 27th, 2012, 12:30 pm

I've seen photos of the train to old Detroit, before the reservoir flooded it. That was a very scenic ride.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

pablo

Post by pablo » December 28th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Bittle?

Neat article, thx for posting.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 29th, 2012, 10:19 am

pablo wrote:Bittle?
Yeah, I couldn't figure out if that's some archaic word that's not used anymore or if it was a typo for "little."

For what it's worth, the Urban Dictionary has a definition for "bittle" that says "A joining of the words 'little' and 'bit' to make the contraction noun 'bittle'." It kind of makes sense, if you really stretch your imagination. :D

Oregon Nomad

Post by Oregon Nomad » January 1st, 2013, 3:56 pm

Would love to have read the article, but living in Bend I don't have a Multnomah county Library card.

Email: [email protected]
Text/Phone: 541-390-4972

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 1st, 2013, 4:48 pm

Oregon Nomad wrote:Would love to have read the article, but living in Bend I don't have a Multnomah county Library card.
Whoops! Sorry about that. I thought the link I used was the permalink that doesn't require a login. Try it again.