"Northwest Outdoors" columns by Don & Roberta Lowe

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
kepPNW

"Northwest Outdoors" columns by Don & Roberta Lowe

Post by kepPNW » December 12th, 2012, 12:09 pm

All the recent focus on Don & Roberta Lowe jogged a dusty memory of mine, that I had long ago found my way up Table Mountain through the guidance of a column of theirs that had appeared in a Northwest Magazine supplement to the Sunday Oregonian. And when I say dusty, I mean that quite literally. We have an old four-drawer filing cabinet in the garage, that we really haven't even looked in since we moved into our current house back in 1999. Yesterday, I remembered that the bottom drawer had some "travel stuff" in it. Prowling through it, I found a file folder that held a number of pages ripped out of said Sunday supplement. I'm afraid I only have a small selection of the columns I clipped, as I most likely had the others stuffed in my pocket out on the trail. Scanned the survivors, and reduced versions are below. Click on any image for a 200dpi full-size scan.

May 19, 1985

June 23, 1985

July 21, 1985

September 25, 1985

October 13, 1985

June 22, 1986

July 27, 1986

August 10, 1986

October 26, 1986

July 26, 1987

August 23, 1987

December 6, 1987

I hope no one takes issue with copyright here. I feel this falls under the Fair Use doctrine, for both the historical and scholarly applications. Not to mention the Oregonian archives are apparently in the public realm as well. And finally because these are mere excerpts of the author's vast volume of work.

Enjoy!
Last edited by kepPNW on December 14th, 2012, 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

justpeachy

Re: "Northwest Outdoors" columns by Don & Roberta Lowe

Post by justpeachy » December 12th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Very cool!!! Your filing cabinet sounds like something my parents have. Or my dad, I should say, since he's the one who clips out articles and photos from newspapers and magazines and files them away (never to be looked at again, usually). He's been doing that ever since I was a kid and is still doing it now, much to Mom's dismay! :lol:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 12th, 2012, 5:44 pm

justpeachy wrote:Very cool!!! Your filing cabinet sounds like something my parents have. Or my dad, I should say, since he's the one who clips out articles and photos from newspapers and magazines and files them away (never to be looked at again, usually). He's been doing that ever since I was a kid and is still doing it now, much to Mom's dismay! :lol:
Busted. :oops: Well kinda, anyway. ;)

Let the record show that these are the D&R-L clippings I still have!

The others got worn out. Out on the trail. Yep! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :P

(As a service to my kids, I'm now scanning old photos and stuff, so they someday only have to throw out a small pile of HDDs, rather than mountains of combustibles. :lol:)
Karl

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 12th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Karl,

Excellent! Thanks so much for sharing those columns. All the more reason to respect what Don and Roberta have done for us by highlighting the awesome treasures of the NW.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 12th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:Excellent! Thanks so much for sharing those columns. All the more reason to respect what Don and Roberta have done for us by highlighting the awesome treasures of the NW.
My pleasure, Don. I know it's hard to imagine now, but they really were one of the very few ways many folks learned of places like these "back in the day." A resource like this site was totally unimaginable then.

Do you remember how frequently those columns ran? I was thinking weekly, but maybe it was only once a month? I don't seem to have any much closer together than that.
Karl

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 13th, 2012, 10:38 am

Bump: Found two more columns that were folded inside some others. Just added (to the original post above):
  • * Mountain Scenery on a Magnificent Scale, 27-July-1986
    * Challenging Klickitat, 30-August-1987 (relocated below)
Also seem to have answered my own question, in that they definitely appear to have been weekly columns! The Klickitat column posted today is dated just one week after the Bell Creek column posted originally. That means I lost (or failed to clip) a lot of them! Nice to still have a good sample, though.

Edit: Whoops! No sooner did I post the above two, did Tom point out that one of them wasn't by the Lowes. It was in the same file, and it certainly interested me (it's about climbing Adams), but for whatever reason I just didn't look closely enough at it to spot the obvious "which one doesn't fit the pattern" issue. Since it's already scanned, and mentioned, I'll just move it down to this post, to take it out the great group of Lowe columns.

August 30, 1987

I suppose this also restores the notion that the Lowes' columns were only published monthly, as I had originally recalled. Jeeze, gettin' old's a b.... :|
Last edited by kepPNW on December 14th, 2012, 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl

pablo

Post by pablo » December 13th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Hey kepPNW,

Great post, I especially like the Devil's Rest trail description where they discuss the Primrose Trail. Although I've see photos of the Basil Clark signs posted here, in all the times I've done that route I've never seen one. I should keep looking.

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 13th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Great finds, Karl! Thanks for scanning and posting -- great to see!

The second of your new additions is by a different author - did you notice that? Not someone I've heard of, though Keith Gunnar is well known as a landscape photographer. Maybe that's why they were in short succession?

BTW, a fascinating factoid about Don Lowe's maps: they were hand-drafted with a Leroy lettering system, which isn't as remarkable as the fact that in the later editions (1980s) of their guides, he abandoned the tedious overlays of photos of topo maps and actually DRAFTED HIS OWN CONTOURS! For example, compare the maps in "50 Hiking Trails" to the original "100 Hiking Trails" and you'll see the difference. This represents a HUGE amount of drafting, and when I asked him about it back in the 1980s, he sort of shrugged it off and said that it just looked better than the red-on-topo photo design, since they had to overprint the red lines on a white mask on the topo photo - which was tedious on its own. Really amazing!

Tom

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 13th, 2012, 9:08 pm

pablo wrote:Great post, I especially like the Devil's Rest trail description where they discuss the Primrose Trail. Although I've see photos of the Basil Clark signs posted here, in all the times I've done that route I've never seen one. I should keep looking.
I think I've seen one of those, but that's it. Seems there's always something new to find up there. :)

Looking at the map, it seems this Primrose Trail drops directly down (north) from Devil's Rest? I followed that a bit, once, but it seemed to really fade away quickly. I guess I need to give it more of a chance next time.
Splintercat wrote:Great finds, Karl! Thanks for scanning and posting -- great to see!

The second of your new additions is by a different author - did you notice that? Not someone I've heard of, though Keith Gunnar is well known as a landscape photographer. Maybe that's why they were in short succession?
OMGosh, no, I didn't look that closely. I was just so excited to see another one fall out of the folds. Jeeeze... That's embarrassing. I guess it does lend more weight to my original recollection of them only doing it once a month, though?

Edit: I just moved it into the Bump post. It was already scanned, and interesting, so I didn't see the need to completely get rid of it. But it isn't part of the Subject body of work, so that only seemed right.
Splintercat wrote:BTW, a fascinating factoid about Don Lowe's maps: they were hand-drafted with a Leroy lettering system, which isn't as remarkable as the fact that in the later editions (1980s) of their guides, he abandoned the tedious overlays of photos of topo maps and actually DRAFTED HIS OWN CONTOURS! For example, compare the maps in "50 Hiking Trails" to the original "100 Hiking Trails" and you'll see the difference. This represents a HUGE amount of drafting, and when I asked him about it back in the 1980s, he sort of shrugged it off and said that it just looked better than the red-on-topo photo design, since they had to overprint the red lines on a white mask on the topo photo - which was tedious on its own. Really amazing!
Wow, I'll have to take a close look at that sometime. I was just getting started in cartography in the early 80s, so I well remember the effort that went into all that. We had a guy up here in Vancouver, Phil Arnold, who continued to make *the* definitive Clark County maps until he was nearly 100. All by hand. Ink and mylar. Until just about a year ago, or so.

Y'know, looking up at that oddball one again... Can't believe it didn't hit me originally. No map! <grumble>
Karl

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 15th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Not at all, Karl -- in fact, it was a chance to learn something new: I googled Andy Dappen and came up with his website. Turns out he's a freelance writer who also does some photography. On that latter point, I give him double bonus points for (1) posing with an Oly OM-1 in his portrait,and (2) knowing how to hold a camera for a vertical exposure. Rare to see that these days, for some reason.

See? It was serendipity..!

Tom :)