Herman Creek Shelter in 1916

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
justpeachy

Herman Creek Shelter in 1916

Post by justpeachy » December 12th, 2012, 8:25 am

While doing research for my book I came across the two photos below, labeled only "Herman Creek Shelter 1916."

It's kind of hard to tell, but there are two men sitting by the shelter in each photo. Here is a zoomed-in view.

Also interesting in the first photo is what appears to be a pair of signs on the tree to the left of the shelter. Even though these are high-res scans I can't make out what the words say, except that the first word on the top sign almost looks like "WANTED." Here it is zoomed-in.

So if you've ever gone exploring along Herman Creek and come across the remains of an old shelter, this might be it. (Although it is possible that these photos were mislabeled - I have come across that several times already during my research.)

Don Nelsen

Re: Herman Creek Shelter in 1916

Post by Don Nelsen » December 12th, 2012, 9:18 am

Cheryl,

Good find! I wonder if that is the same shelter that was still standing when I was first at Cedar Swamp in 1979 or 1980? Just a few scraps of wood left there today.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

payslee

Post by payslee » December 12th, 2012, 9:44 am

Cool photos!

Thanks for sharing these, Peachy.

-payslee

Chase

Post by Chase » December 12th, 2012, 1:24 pm

That's a fantastic find. Looks to me like the photos were taken in different seasons. The WANTED sign piques my curiousity. My brain wants to read it WAHTUM, but that's definitely not it. What could be "wanted" out there?

Also in 1916:
Construction of the Eagle-Wahtum trail began
Fire tower on Indian Mountain was constructed
President Wilson visited the Columbia River Highway!

zee

Post by zee » December 12th, 2012, 5:17 pm

neat, to say the least !

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 13th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Nice find, Cheryl! I agree with Don -- this is Cedar Swamp Shelter, and I'll bet most of the trees are still standing, too.

Tom :)