1875 Trip Report: Henry Suksdorf, Mt Adams, and an Ice Cave

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
payslee

1875 Trip Report: Henry Suksdorf, Mt Adams, and an Ice Cave

Post by payslee » December 10th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Last edited by payslee on February 4th, 2015, 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

BrianEdwards

Re: 1875 Trip Report: Henry Suksdorf, Mt Adams, and an Ice C

Post by BrianEdwards » December 10th, 2012, 2:46 pm

The description sounds very much like the Trout Lake Ice Caves

Been there several times, definitely worth a visit!
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 10th, 2012, 3:03 pm

I agree with Brian. The description in the newspaper matches well. The White Salmon River is about 6 miles west of Camas Prairie and then it is uphill between Dry Creek and Cave Creek to the Ice caves in the link. Been there many times and it's well worth the visit. There are many caves along that route and it's possible there is another ice cave or two though I've not found any that have ice in them in the summertime. Best time to visit is late winter when the ice is at its maximum. Even the main cave mostly melts out by late summer though some lasts all year.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 10th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Also what makes me think its the Trout Lake Ice Caves is the quote "The formation is an immense lava bed covered with pine, fir, tamarack, etc with no underbrush."

On the way to the Ice Caves, the road goes right over the Big Lava Bed with that exact description.

Chase

Post by Chase » December 10th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Thanks for posting, P!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 10th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Here are some pics from the far distant past of a few of my trips into the area in question. There is much to explore up there along the route described and thanks for bringing up the subject!

One of my three brothers, my GF at the time and one of my sisters on one of the many lava bridges in the area. Oct. 1968:

Same brother in one of the caves that is close to the surface and sports some good icecicles in the winter - taken winter '68/69:

The hiking group I led into Cheese Cave, about 4 1/2 miles downhill from the ice caves.
This stairway was still there below an abandoned A-frame cabin in 2008. This pic taken in 1967 or '68.

This is what the cheese curing shelves looked like in the summer of 1969. I have read that a mold of some kind invaded the curing cheeses and doomed the venture. The constant 38 degree temperature of the cave was perfect for such a purpose but the mold foiled the entreprenuers. Not much was left when I was last there in 2008.

A couple of pics of one of my other brothers in the ice cave Brian linked to. Oct. 1969:

-don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

mandrake

Post by mandrake » December 11th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Awesome pics there, Don!
I particularly like the pic of the stairway in Cheese Cave. Cool to see it back in its prime! Is that a ladder on the righthand side -- wow, that looks sketchy! Always wondered what the insurance was like for the building built right on top of the cave.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 11th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Love all those back in the day shots. Can't believe I'd never heard of the Cheese Cave til this post.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » December 11th, 2012, 8:01 pm

payslee,
Thanks for the info on searching the Oregonian archives. I went out today and signed up for a Multnomah County library card. :)

I love searching through old newspaper articles, pictures, etc.

For example: If your interested in the old Buick on the Multnomah Basin, you can search "Multnomah Basin" and read about the area in the 1912 edition.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

payslee

Post by payslee » December 12th, 2012, 9:53 am

Thanks for the prompt and certain ID, Brian and Don. I don't know how I've missed this place before, but it is definitely on my list now! That whole area is one that I've been wanting to spend more time in for a while now.

And Don THANK YOU for those awesomely cool pictures. Weren't any back in 1875 :)

And Peabody - yes, those archives are a dangerous vortex of strange and interesting tidbits! I get dangerously sidetracked every time I go in there looking for something, I inevitably come out with five or six something elses.

Warm ice cave regards,
payslee