Timberline Trail, summer 1965

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
SonOfTamarack

Timberline Trail, summer 1965

Post by SonOfTamarack » November 18th, 2012, 7:52 pm

IMG_0011.jpg
Mt Hood
I've got a few photos of my father, Stephen See, my mother, my uncle Frank See, and friends hiking the Timberline Trail in 1965. Family friends Jamie and Mary Martha Carr of Hood River also came along. I believe this was in the Elk Cove-Cairn Basin area, probably starting at Cloud Cap as that was just up the road from the family house at Cooper Spur Junction on the old loop highway (I understand that until sometime in the 60s the loop highway would go up from Parkdale Jct to Cooper Spur Jct, then down to Pollalie Cr on the Hood River and on around the mountain from there).

I'm posting this primarily to add to the Portland Hikers stash of archival photos, there's a few shots of olde timey canvas backpacks and distinct lack of high-tech fabrics.
Attachments
IMG_0006.jpg
mt
IMG_0004.jpg
Jamie
frankaugust1965-sm.jpg
Uncle Frank
IMG_0008.jpg
My mom rounding the corner--above Elk Cove?
pruejamiemarymarthaonhood.jpg
My mother, Jamie and MM

Don Nelsen

Re: Timberline Trail, summer 1965

Post by Don Nelsen » November 18th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Thanks for the blast-from-the-past!! Neat that you still have those old pics and thanks for posting. Wish I still had my dad's and grandfather's pics but alas! Have a few but not much.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 18th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Nice!

What did they call them, Trapper John Packs?. I used one of those maybe 1967? Hiked up Wallowa River to Horseshoe Lake.

It must make you smile seeing your folks that young.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 18th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Very cool, Tamarack! The first shot is Rainier, must have gotten mixed in with the Hood batch. The last one is quite interesting -- assuming it's Hood and the Coe Glacier in the background, it could be from the old "high" route of the TT, east of the old Coe Branch crossing..?

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

SonOfTamarack

Post by SonOfTamarack » November 18th, 2012, 11:31 pm

From what I gather from my mom and others pictured the hike was on Hood. They could have been offtrail, as that NE side of the mountain they knew very well.

I suspect Rainier was in the same batch of photos. Yeah, everyone looks very young in these photos. My dad would have been 24, maybe?
Stephen_pan-sm.jpg
Stephen as Pan
I forgot to add this one of my dad pretending to play a pipe. It looks like he's sitting with his boots on the trail, just where a stream crosses.

Guy

Post by Guy » November 19th, 2012, 9:13 am

Thanks for posting these, they are fun to see.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 19th, 2012, 9:55 pm

retired jerry wrote:Nice!

What did they call them, Trapper John Packs?. I used one of those maybe 1967? Hiked up Wallowa River to Horseshoe Lake.

It must make you smile seeing your folks that young.
Close I think, Trapper Nelson.
http://patentpending.blogs.com/patent_p ... r_nel.html
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 19th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Tamarack, here is my best ID on your photos:

1. Mt. Rainier from the south - from the vicinity of the Tatoosh Range.

2. This looks like the view across base of Barrett Spur from the TT on the west approach into Elk Cove.

3. This looks like the saddle at the head of the swale that leads up to Dollar Lake.

4. Just a guess on this one, but your uncle could be standing in front of a trailhead signboard... or possibly the Elk Cove or Cairn Basin shelter..?

5. Definitely the west approach to WyEast Basin on what is now the Vista Ridge Trail, Barrett Spur in the background.

6. Studying this a bit, I think it's the swale east of the terminus of Coe Glacier, above the present-day TT.

7. Another guess, but I'd say your bonus shot is along Cove Creek in Elk Cove, give the context of the other photos.

Neat! Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

Guy

Post by Guy » November 20th, 2012, 9:56 am

4. Just a guess on this one, but your uncle could be standing in front of a trailhead signboard... or possibly the Elk Cove or Cairn Basin shelter..?

5. Definitely the west approach to WyEast Basin on what is now the Vista Ridge Trail, Barrett Spur in the background.
Amazing how little the view in #5 has changed!

#4, when I first saw it I instantly thought Cairn Basin, looking more closely I still think it's the Cairn Basin Shelter based on the hill you can see behind the cabin & the trees off to the right.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 3rd, 2013, 6:15 am

Spam alarm going off like crazy

But where's the SEO link?

hmmm......