Salmon River Falls - 1907 trip report

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
payslee

Salmon River Falls - 1907 trip report

Post by payslee » October 22nd, 2012, 3:36 pm

Last edited by payslee on February 4th, 2015, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crusak

Re: Salmon River Falls - 1907 trip report

Post by Crusak » October 22nd, 2012, 6:14 pm

Way to go, girls! :)

Nice find.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

payslee

Post by payslee » October 23rd, 2012, 2:35 pm

Based on this awesome but you've-got-to-be-kidding-me trip report of a trip down the Salmon river in an inflatable "pool raft", yes, that picture is of Final Falls.

http://capefalconkayak.com/salmonrivercanyon.html

And no, I do not have the skill or moxie required to get back in there ever. Wow.

-payslee

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » October 23rd, 2012, 6:56 pm

That pool raft page has been a bookmark on my phone for several years now. It's the most comprehensive look at the falls the Salmon that I've found yet. The raft part just adds to the story!

Btw, those women in the 1907 pic are some tough gals. There isn't any easy way to get to that side of the river below final falls. In fact that's the only shot of the falls from that side I've ever seen. In the rafting trip report, look at the shot looking over the brink of the falls down river. You can see the cliffs on the left side. It only gets more treacherous around that corner.

Either way, great find. Thanks for the post!
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Titogoeshiking

Post by Titogoeshiking » October 24th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Hi, I have been to Final falls on the Salmon river 2 times. This photo is from Sept. 2010. There are 6 waterfalls on the Salmon river and none of them are easy find or get to. Final falls is especially difficult to get to but it is a great adventure. The best time to go is July-Sept.(low water). There were alot of salmon spawning when my brother and I went in Sept. of 2010; so many in some areas we had to be careful not to disturb them. Anyway, I hope this pic. helps. I have more pics if you need them.
Attachments
finalfallsmartylisaemail.jpg
My bro and I
finalfalls.jpg
final falls
finalfalls.jpg (3.28 KiB) Viewed 4053 times

MultnomahVet

Post by MultnomahVet » December 2nd, 2012, 12:53 pm

My understanding from what I've read from others is that you need some pretty good technical climbing knowledge, gear and understanding and skill to navigate this area. These are the falls of the salmon River Gorge correct? would love to see them and what an adventure that would be. Anyone have suggestions on getting trained in technical climbing/canyoneering (<---- I believe that's the term forgive me if I am wrong) here in the Portland area?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 3rd, 2012, 8:58 pm

No climbing gear required to get to the following:

Final and Frustration overlook (though it's sketchy and people have been killed there trying to get too close to the edge)

Little Niagra and Vanishing -- accessed via Goat Creek

Split and Stein -- both are accessible via steep scrambles, though we used a rope to descend the last 15-20 feet to Split Falls

I haven't seen any canyoneering reports from the Salmon River Gorge (so far), just kayaking... though most of those trips are a blend of kayak and canyoneering, since they involve rope work to get past Final Falls for all but a few truly bold kayakers. Stein Falls has never been kayaked (not sure it can be... but then I've been saying that too often, as I'm proved wrong over and over again), and I haven't seen anything about it being rapelled, either.

Very cool area -- part of me wishes an Eagle Creek-style trail had been constructed in there, but I guess some places should only be visited by a few...
I have more pics if you need them.
Yes! Post 'em!

Tom :)