Cape Lookout - Well's Cove

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Billri9685

Cape Lookout - Well's Cove

Post by Billri9685 » September 30th, 2012, 10:12 pm

I wasn't sure where to put these, they are kind of a mix of old pictures/off trail. I took these back in 02 or 03 on one of my first real hikes. I was using a disposable camera so the quality isn't that great...

In the summer of 02 or 03 I spent a week at Camp Meriwether just south of Cape Lookout. I went on a group hike with about 8 other people ranging in ages from 13 to mid to late 40's. They hiked us up the beach to the cape, up the switch backs and out on the cape. At the big sign that says not to cross there was a hidden trail that was under the salal that we took down to Well's Cove at the bottom. We hit it at a really low tide. The guy said it was the first time he had ever been able to get onto the beach. There was a small cave on the beach that was full of stuff the ocean had washed up. Mainly those old glass buoys. If I remember right some of them were basket ball sized. The hike up was a bit extreme. We had to latterly push one of the older guys up part of the trail. We were using the bushes along the trail as hand holds to make our way back up the trail. I've wanted to go back but with all the nasty winter storms we've had the past few years parts of the trail could be washed out and there's no way to know until your on it and then it could be a long way to the bottom... So with that being said DONT TRY THIS.
ImageImage

Splintercat

Re: Cape Lookout - Well's Cove

Post by Splintercat » October 10th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Cool photos! Is Well's Cove the large cove on the north side of the cape..?

Tom

Billri9685

Re: Cape Lookout - Well's Cove

Post by Billri9685 » October 11th, 2012, 5:09 am

Yeah it is. I want to go back and check it out but that trail was sketchy 10 years ago and with all the storms we've had over the past few years I dont know if its still even there.