Historical Films of Interest

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
payslee

Re: Historical Films of Interest

Post by payslee » August 17th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Chase wrote: I also have looked for remnants of the flume and never seen them. Anyone want to chime in with photos or tips?
I think this is a different flume, since I'm guessing the former town of Moulton was somewhere near Moulton Falls, but these two guys took a "shortcut" walking up the flume on the way to Silver Star, in 1914.
flume.JPG
If you haven't yet, download the pdf from google books. Fascinating! This article is on p 411 of 611. Hours of historical fun! Link from the thread below.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... ilver+star

-payslee

Chase

Post by Chase » August 17th, 2012, 4:41 pm

Thanks, Payslee. I'm always looking for historical articles and I missed that original post.

Today I bring to you a three part look at Oregon in 1970 brought to you by the Department of Interior. You might want to skip to part 3 first since it has the best waterfall and Mt. Hood footage.

Part One:

Part Two:

Part Three:

Chase

Post by Chase » August 24th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Some great footage in these beauties:

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 24th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Chase wrote:Anyone know where the scene from 1:20 was shot?
Good question and very interesting puzzle! You can see the river below as the car drives up to the lookout, but this is weird because none of the lookouts in the Gorge were quite that close to the river. You can see a map of fire lookouts in the area here: http://www.firelookout.com/orhood.html

Maybe it was Nesmith Point? Another possibility is Pepper Mountain (map).

Chase

Post by Chase » September 2nd, 2012, 7:36 am

The hits keep comin'!

Here we see Lassie on the Broughton flume with shots of the CRG in the background. 1967, y'all.

Chase

Post by Chase » September 3rd, 2012, 10:00 am

Warning: some of you will need to go to the store and buy some Pampers before you watch this next one because you may lose control of your bowels due to the awesomeness of this clip.

August 1938 summit climb of Mt. Hood. Never seen a better video of a climb up Hood, even with so many advancements in technology.

lunatick47

Post by lunatick47 » September 9th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Go to Flicker and type Broughton Flume in the search box

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » September 12th, 2012, 11:04 pm

Chase, I reckon I hadn't seen this post the first times around. Have you seen the appendix in the back of Curious Gorge listing most every commercial film with scenes shot in the Gorge...and the minute in the movie in which each scene pertains too and exactly where the scene was shot?
Fun fun...watch Benji lure a wolf into jumping off Table Mtn...watch the robot from Short Circuit dally around Cascade Locks...watch Chuck Norris kick ass in Parkdale, Bob Barker kick Happy ass in Skamaniia...Mel and Jody and fishwheel remnants....and of course a young Jimmy Stewart and Rock Hudson riding the Portland sternwheeler past Cape Horn to Rooster Rock!!!

The one movie I overlooked (though there are probably many many more) is "Golden Earrings" starring Marlene Dietrich...in which eagle Creek bridge makes a quick gypsy appearance and then Crown Point doubles for Germany's Rhine River.
yay Holly-Gorge.....cheers, scott

Chase

Post by Chase » September 23rd, 2012, 8:42 am

Chase wrote:From the Oregon channel on YouTube:

Just a follow-up to this video I posted on this thread a while back.
More on Al Faussett here:

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?Di ... le_id=8567

Chase

Post by Chase » December 28th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Mount Hood with a Saint Bernard on it! This is how I dream at night, only with a soundtrack of old cartoon music.