VERY Old School: Serene Lake - July 1970

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Splintercat

VERY Old School: Serene Lake - July 1970

Post by Splintercat » August 3rd, 2012, 5:46 pm

Well, I'd hoped for more photos from this memorable trip, but it turns out there are just a few -- I'm in the process of scanning my dad's slides, and just came across these a couple of weeks ago. I'm working on a blog article centered on this trip, but thought I'd write up a PH.org version here.

I don't really know what my first hike was, though somewhere in the Gorge or on Mount Hood at about age 4 or 5. But after reaching the ripe old age of eight in 1970, my folks deemed me old enough to carry my own backpack. It was July, and the destination was Hike No. 43 in the classic 100 Oregon Hiking Trails: Serene Lake. This trip still stands as my earliest hiking memory, and made me a hiker for life. All but my oldest brother were along - here's our pre-trip pose with packs on... in the driveway... I'm the little guy... :)

The trip started from the Frazier Turnaround, reached by a primitive CCC road that was just as rough in 1970 as it is today. Back then, my dad was navigating an aircraft carrier-like 1967 Plymouth Fury II station wagon over that road!

Once at the trailhead, we saddled up in packs (again) ranging from cutting edge (my folks and older brothers had spiffy orange Kelty packs) to retro -- my sister and I had military surplus canvas packs, thankfully with "modern" aluminum frames! The same held for tents: my folks slept in dad's nylon climbing tent, while my older brothers carried two army surplus canvas pup tents for the kids.

Here's a rest stop at the two mark on the switchbacks below Serene Lake - that's me running around causing trouble, no doubt...

The hike was uneventful, and soon we arrived at the north shore of Serene Lake, with plenty of day left for exploring, a very quick (and cold) swim, wading in search of crayfish and a picnic on a talus slope above the lake (I'm over on he left, being annoying, I'm sure...)

Finally, it was time to set up. We camped on the west shore of the lake, where at least one rustic picnic table existed. The canvas pup tents came with heavy metal stakes, but no poles - we used sticks for that. They also had cotton ties for closures, a detail that would prove problematic as evening approached.

As evening approached, the infamous mosquitos of the Rock Lakes basin descended upon us with a vengeance. Dad sprayed the kids down with Bug spray, and built a campfire to make our dinner. The fire did a good job of keeping the bugs away, so we stayed up late, roasting marshmallows and making s'mores in the warm, bug free circle.

Bedtime brought on a sequence of memorable events that are now family lore. I was paired with the oldest brother on the trip, and the first unpleasant discovery was just how impossible it would be to keep mosquitos out of that pup tent! More drama followed: at some point during the night, I woke my brother up to tell him I was going to throw up.

Our recollections vary on what happened next, but I distinctly remember being ejected from the tent like a projectile, and spending the next 20 minutes hunched in a patch of huckleberries paying the price for all those s'mores. At some point, I was allowed back in the tent, but only after losing another pint of blood to the mosquitos... and my dinner.

Despite my long night at Serene Lake on that first backpack trip, the die was cast, and I was addicted to hiking for life. That's why I LOVE to see parents with young kids out on the trail -- they're setting them on a very healthy, satisfying path.

So, I've mentioned my souvenir from this trip to many folks over the years, but thought I'd post it here: I still have our sacred family copy of the Lowe's classic guide, and sure enough, there is a mummified mosquito preserved on the Serene Lake page... check it out!

Here's the opposing page, with a shot of Don and Roberta Lowe and one of Don's signature maps:

So, there you have it - my first backpack!

Tom :D

Crusak

Re: VERY Old School: Serene Lake - July 1970

Post by Crusak » August 4th, 2012, 8:55 am

haha awesome! I love the 70's gear. I remember using army surplus stuff for camping and for my first backpacking trip (and a few trips after that).

So you are the youngest boy of... four? :) Yikes I bet your mother had her hands full with four boys. But probably easier than if they'd been girls... :lol:

I also love to see families out backpacking. It's great to see parents taking their kids along on trips like that. Kids seem to notice every little detail too (they are closer to the ground...)

I'm glad that your first experience didn't sour your opinion of backpacking, Splintercat.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 4th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Ha, that's great! And it's awesome that this trip got you hooked on hiking/backpacking. It doesn't always work that way. My parents took me and my sister on LOTS of hikes when we were growing up and I LOATHED it, especially as I got older. I whined and complained on every trip (my poor parents!). I had no appreciation for scenery at that age and I would much rather have been at home reading a book. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I grew to appreciate the rewards of hiking.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 4th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Youngest of five, Jim - four boys and my poor sister, who suffered all of us!

Cheryl, I don't remember not having fun on one of these early trips, but that might be rose colored glasses, too... we did have a couple of Bataan death marches along the way (including a memorable marathon trip from Wahtum Lake to the EC trailhead via Ruckel Creek to avoid re-encountering a camp bear at 7.5 mile Camp...). :lol:

Tom :)

Titogoeshiking

Post by Titogoeshiking » August 4th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Thankyou for sharing that "vintage" story Splintercat. My family had a station wagon just like that! :D Going to Lost lake in 1970 in that wagon was scary for me. lisa
[/center][/center]

mayhem

Post by mayhem » August 13th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Groovy, Dynomite, Shazammm!

Thanks for sharing. I also come from a family of 7 & do not remember anything but kidas fighting, especially on the drive to vacation camping. (not hiking but the drive would be similar). Many times parents threatening to turn around :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

kelkev

Post by kelkev » August 13th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Great post, Tom! I spent many a summer day hiking with my Dad and younger brother, most of the time it was tied in with fishing at high lakes. I was always a willing participant, mainly for the fishing. But as I've gotten older, the fishing has taken a backseat to the hiking. But, my pack pole always comes with me.

Your post makes me continue to appreciate the time and experiences with my folks camping, hiking, fishing, and just "being a kid" camping along the North Santiam River and the Metolius River every summer for many years. Not all kids were so lucky.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

awildman

Post by awildman » August 13th, 2012, 7:46 pm

I love this story and the photographs - particularly the crushed mosquito. Thanks for sharing these old memories.
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 13th, 2012, 9:30 pm

Thanks, Allison!
Your post makes me continue to appreciate the time and experiences with my folks camping, hiking, fishing, and just "being a kid" camping along the North Santiam River and the Metolius River every summer for many years. Not all kids were so lucky.
You and me, both, Kevin! It always makes me happy to see young families on the trail -- never fails to make my day!

Tom :)

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » August 13th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Awesome!

I have that guide book as well but only just got it within the last few years from Powells.

Please tell me you got Don and Roberta to sign that copy of yours!?!? :)

Almost looks like half you guys are barefoot hikers in the driveway photo! Would make sense
being that avant garde in '70 maybe...