Tunnel Falls 1919 - when constructed?

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
CuriousGorgeGuide

Re: Tunnel Falls 1919 - when constructed?

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » September 12th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Good digging Chase! I'm of the opinion that the trail was constructed 1916ish. There wouldn't have been anything done in 1908, as there wasn't any highway construction earlier than 1910 at Shell Rock Mtn.

Anyhow, here is an interesting inscription in a rock along the lower Eagle Creek trail....sorta just where the cut-out cliffy sections begin. I wonder if it was carved by the work crews on the trail?
eagle inscription.jpg

Chase

Post by Chase » September 13th, 2012, 5:48 am

CuriousGorgeGuide wrote:Good digging Chase! I'm of the opinion that the trail was constructed 1916ish. There wouldn't have been anything done in 1908, as there wasn't any highway construction earlier than 1910 at Shell Rock Mtn.

Anyhow, here is an interesting inscription in a rock along the lower Eagle Creek trail....sorta just where the cut-out cliffy sections begin. I wonder if it was carved by the work crews on the trail?
eagle inscription.jpg
I can't read the inscription. Can you?

My wonderings from this is:
Did John Elliott, boss-man of the Mitchell Tunnel, help out with the delicate blasting at Tunnel Falls? He finished Mitchell Tunnel in late 1915 and would have been the most experienced man for the job in 1916. I figure it had to be him or one of his top men that contributed, but proof I lack. Any thoughts?

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » September 13th, 2012, 10:06 am

Chase, I doubt Elliot had anything to do with Eagle Creek. He was an overly-busy Hwy engineer working for the newly-formed hwy commission, whereas the eagle Creek work was being done by the Forest Service as it ramped-up it efforts to compete for funding with the growing Natl Park service. Eagle Creek and its new campground and trail were a showpiece for the newly-minted recreation ethic of the Forest Service. I think the FS would have wanted to keep all their efforts "in house". I don't have any iinfo at these fingertips, but I somehow doubt that the tunnel at Tunnel had any blasting at all. My inclination is to think it is entirely hand-hewn, but I could be wrong.
....scott