Stone House?

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
DannyH

Stone House?

Post by DannyH » January 29th, 2012, 8:55 am

This Saturday my Dad and I visited the Stone House on Highway 14 near Beacon Rock. We followed the directions in Scott Cook's "Curious Gorge."

Does anyone know the history of this beautiful site? Someone a long time ago put A LOT of work into that building. Was it a house? Inn? Homestead? There are so many questions to ask about it.
Attachments
Picture 6.png
Picture 5.png
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

hikin_mike1960

Re: Stone House?

Post by hikin_mike1960 » February 1st, 2012, 12:41 pm

That is really cool. How would one get there. It would make a great place for a photo shoot. thanks
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 1st, 2012, 3:34 pm

I've wondered about that building too and don't know it's history. My guess is that it was some sort of roadhouse/restaurant in the early days of the original hwy14. It has an oversized area that appears to have been a pantry and also a very large kitchen area for that size of building. I'm guessing that based on what remains of the plumbing. A few miles west, there is a twin stone house that is now a residence (and may always have been - don't know)

Location: A little to the east of the junction of SR 14 and Franz Rd. about MP 32.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

hikin_mike1960

Post by hikin_mike1960 » February 3rd, 2012, 7:51 am

Thanks for the info. I will go check it out.
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com

Ringo

Post by Ringo » January 1st, 2019, 8:14 pm

Ringo

Post by Ringo » January 1st, 2019, 8:15 pm

Page two of that document specifies who built the stone house in case anyone was still curious.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190101-203046.png

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 2nd, 2019, 8:10 pm

Many thanks, Ringo. There's been a lot of speculation about whom that house belonged to. It definitely wasn't Nellie Corser! Any idea about what Karl Pedersen did after he came back from WWI?

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 3rd, 2019, 7:05 am

That property is now part of Franz Lake Wildlife Refuge and I once wrote to them to ask if they knew anything about the place. Unfortunately they ignored my message and I never got a reply.

DannyH

Post by DannyH » February 9th, 2019, 8:46 am

Thanks for posting that information Ringo! The hidden plain site places are always so interesting to me.
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Ringo

Post by Ringo » February 15th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Not a problem! I had many questions about the house myself after visiting it and was more than happy to track down any information on it. I wish I had more information on Karl Pedersen for you all, but at this point I do not. I will post anything more I find on this feed as I get it though.