...for those who arrived here after May 18, 1980...

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
kepPNW

Re: ...for those who arrived here after May 18, 1980...

Post by kepPNW » October 29th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:I had to write a ten page paper for a geology of the PNW class a while back and was assigned the St Helens eruption as my subject. I guess a lot of scientists and geologists thought the underlying magma was much drier than it actually was, which would have meant a slow going lava flow instead of the devastating eruption that occured on the 18th.
I was a Geology major back then, hanging out in the basement of Cramer Hall over at PSU most days. Exciting times! The seismograph was the Main Attraction. No one really knew what to expect. Obviously, I suppose, or else we wouldn't be calling it Johnston Ridge today.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 29th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Mines abandoned in 1971

Yes, I climbed it before and after. That's always been a favorite because it's lower elevation so I don't get headache from altitude.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » October 29th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Awesome, kep. Those are the kind of stories I love to hear.

Water, with all the mines nearby I dont think the area was a wilderness, as of 1970 atleast. There was a camp at St Helens Lake on or near the northeastern shore somewhere. A trail(labeled #207 on this map) started at the southwestern shore of Spirit Lake via hwy 504 near St Helens Lodge. From there it went north to st helens lake and the camp. One of the more interesting things to note is Coldwater Creek and the absence of Coldwater Lake. For someone who was born after the eruption its wierd to look at a map that shows a thin blue line for a creek where we know a large lake exists today.

It seems there wasnt a trail up the coldwater creek valley, but one further north near Minnie Peak and Heart Lake:

Here is a close up of Marge area:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 29th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Another map:
001.JPG
closeup:
002.JPG
I think I went through the Sweden Mine

I spent summer at Boy Scout Camp

Roy

Post by Roy » October 30th, 2012, 10:06 pm

retired jerry wrote:Mines abandoned in 1971

Yes, I climbed it before and after. That's always been a favorite because it's lower elevation so I don't get headache from altitude.
I did ti before it blew the leather boots crampons with neopream straps.

Boy you must have had a head banger when you did Rainier.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 31st, 2012, 5:39 am

When I did Rainier I had a horrible headache. I made it to the false summit and couldn't walk another step, so I turned around and went down a little to wait for the rest of my party. Losing a little elevation helped.

Roy

Post by Roy » November 1st, 2012, 12:40 am

retired jerry wrote:When I did Rainier I had a horrible headache. I made it to the false summit and couldn't walk another step, so I turned around and went down a little to wait for the rest of my party. Losing a little elevation helped.
Sounds like you have the same affliction my wife does she gets head bangers around the summit of Adams even Hood before.

One time we were doing s Shasta and after the red banks around 13,000 elevation she slowed to a crawl then sat down in the snow mumbling and would not get up. No cell phone just us it took everything I had in to get her down took hours.
When got to to around 9,000 she ask why is it almost dark.. We had taken ten hours.
to travel 3,500 ft eg. When at the tent her head started pounding and puking at one am we retreated to the car.

They admitted her at the hospital had fluid in her brain I think they gave her steroids she spent the night in ICU two days later we went home and she looked hell for a week

Even though 25 years ago I still blame myself for not knowing what was going on we were not rookies.It was real bad the docs expressions at the small hospital showed how serious it was.

One of wost things I have ever been through.Still have a hard time with it..
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 1st, 2012, 5:34 am

I don't like going above 10,000 feet - Adams, Hood, even South Sister

But when I go back down below 10,000 feet I'm fine

Your wife sounds much worse

Roy

Post by Roy » November 7th, 2012, 10:08 pm

retired jerry wrote:I don't like going above 10,000 feet - Adams, Hood, even South Sister

But when I go back down below 10,000 feet I'm fine

Your wife sounds much worse
She repeated many over 10,000 ft peaks after that with a few head bangers but we always retreated then. Surprised when I did some history research at the people that have died on Rainier and Shasta from altitude over the years both 14,000 foot peaks and strangely how fit you are makes no difference. Seems some are just unlucky.

Was worried about some ski trips we took to Colorado and Utah the lifts go way up there but she did fine.

Sorry so off topic :(