Jefferson Creek Trail

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
christabrews

Jefferson Creek Trail

Post by christabrews » September 20th, 2022, 1:32 pm

I was looking at the USGS topo maps and noticed that the trail above Table Lake, going towards Hole-in-the-Wall Park, used to extend even further. It was called the Jefferson Creek Trail. I know this is now in a closed area, so I was wondering if anyone hiked this trail back in the day. I'd love to hear your story or better yet, see pictures!
Jefferson Creek Trail.png

Aimless

Re: Jefferson Creek Trail

Post by Aimless » September 20th, 2022, 2:50 pm

I, too, would be curious to see what further info anyone can give us. But old hiker's tales and old photos would (and should) be as close as you or I will come to hiking that trail (if any remnants still exist).

christabrews

Post by christabrews » September 20th, 2022, 3:58 pm

Oh yeah, I'm sure there's not even a trace of it left. Even the part approaching Hole-in-the-wall from the south that is technically within the boundary is mostly lost, from what I understand. Do you know when it would have been officially closed? The last USGS map that shows it is from 1988.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 21st, 2022, 7:07 am

Once past that little meadow you'd inside the boundary of the Warm Springs Reservation it would never have been open to the public. It's quite possible that Forest Service rangers used that trail to to patrol the forest long ago, though.

I visited Table Lake and the viewpoint over Hole-in-the-Wall in 2018. The Forest Service had tried to cover up the trail as it leaves Table Lake, but once you get past that initial section the trail is easy to follow, if a bit brushy.

christabrews

Post by christabrews » September 21st, 2022, 12:10 pm

That's a great trip report!

I've heard rumors of otters living in Table Lake. Did you see any?

I'd like to make it out there someday to get to the Hole-in-the-Wall viewpoint. I would agree that there's no reason to go down the hill to it, especially since it seems very marshy. The view from above it probably nicer anyway.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 21st, 2022, 12:17 pm

christabrews wrote:
September 21st, 2022, 12:10 pm
I've heard rumors of otters living in Table Lake. Did you see any?
It was mid-July 2018 when I spent a night as the lone human at Table Lake. About an hour after my arrival I watched a trio of river otters swimming in the lake. One of them dove down two or three times and finally surfaced, about 50 feet from the shore where I was partly hidden in the trees. It had a trout in its mouth which it then proceeded to eat. One of my better wildlife sightings!
Last edited by Aimless on September 21st, 2022, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected the year from 2019 to 2018

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 21st, 2022, 7:28 pm

Cool experience, Aimless! I was not lucky enough to see otters when I was there. (I did, however, see two otters at Packwood Lake last month!)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 22nd, 2022, 5:21 am

what otters? all I see is branches sticking out of the water

oh, those are otters :)

kelkev

Post by kelkev » September 24th, 2022, 7:26 am

I camped 3 nights at Table Lake in late August, 2020 - - about a week prior to the Lionshead Fire exploding on Labor Day Weekend. I hiked up to the Hole In The Wall overlook, and on up to Bear Butte, and briefly contemplated going down into Hole In The Wall Park (HITWP), but it was a jumbled mess of fallen logs and no semblance of a trail existed anymore. After I visited, the Lionshead Fire reburned HITWP, as well as burning part of the area that includes the overlook and a good portion of the access trail from Table Lake. No otters, no fish jumping, and no other humans. A couple of deer and a black bear on the HITHWP access trail, eating huckleberries. Beautiful country.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir