History of the field by Colorado Camp on Deschutes River Trail?

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
TodF

Re: History of the field by Colorado Camp on Deschutes River Trail?

Post by TodF » November 13th, 2021, 6:39 pm

Thanks, everyone! Very interesting stuff.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 18th, 2021, 9:43 am

Charley wrote:
November 12th, 2021, 10:32 am
Many years ago, when I hiked through there regularly, I assumed that ODFW or State Parks grew feed for wildlife there. I'd seen it green, and seen it mowed, at least.

But it's not State land, so I have no clue! State land is blue:

Deschutes.jpeg

Maybe it's leased to the State? Or maybe State Parks allows a property owner (a farmer) to drive the gravel road/trail to access the field for cultivation?
It almost looks like a private landing strip.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 18th, 2021, 10:03 am

There is a landing strip further upstream, on the other side of the river, according to maps, and you can see it.

I think the field near Colorado Camp is agriculture. I've seen people farming near the Harris Homestead. A lot of fencing and irrigation stuff. It's all gone now, after the fire. That might be the end of agriculture there. I think modern farming practices wouldn't work on those small fields at Colorado camp and Harris Homestead.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 18th, 2021, 10:29 am

Just a guess, on my part. It's an interesting patch in that portion of property. Looking at historic satellite images that center section seems maintained while the rest isn't. 'Tis a mystery.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » October 5th, 2023, 6:48 pm

Picked Boy Scout weekend, this last spring, for a Deschutes backpack. Got a secluded site near the plowed field. As you can see, kids were lined up and appeared to be scattering seeds. A friend spoke to them on another trip. They plant the field for a wildlife food source.
Attachments
PXL_20230416_160032736.PORTRAIT.jpg
Boy scouts scattering seed

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 5th, 2023, 7:04 pm

That's great! How far from Columbia river?

There's a number of fields that have been farmed historically, but it seems like that's phasing out. Good to replace with wildlife habitat.

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » October 16th, 2023, 7:23 pm

This was about 3 1/2 miles up the Deschutes. Near the rafting pull out, outhouse and campsites.