new hiking book: I Heart Oregon (& Washington)

Classifieds are for posting non-commercial offers of goods and services among forum members related to hiking, hiking gear and other directly related items of interest. All new topics require moderator approval.
LisaDHolmes

new hiking book: I Heart Oregon (& Washington)

Post by LisaDHolmes » March 3rd, 2014, 5:16 pm

I just finished publishing a new hiking book: I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes. This book is a lot more visual than other hiking books, with over 400 photos and custom trail maps throughout.

While experienced hikers may already be familiar with all of the hikes, the book is geared for people who might not be as familiar with where to go hiking since it shows them what each hike looks like. Most hikes in the book are easy to moderate, with only a couple of more difficult hikes.

For more information about the book and to purchase: http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com/my-hiking-book/

I'm holding a book launch party on Monday, March 24th at Base Camp Brewing. It's open to the public and I'll have books available for a discounted rate. I'm giving a short presentation on the making of the book, with an emphasis on the design process. RSVP info: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/i-heart-or ... ebtnebregn

Sample pages from the book:

Lisa Holmes
graphic designer & hiking book author:
"I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes" and "I Heart Oregon's Seven Wonders"
http://iheartpacificnorthwest.com
Instagram @lisadholmes

kepPNW

Re: new hiking book: I Heart Oregon (& Washington)

Post by kepPNW » March 3rd, 2014, 5:24 pm

Congratulations, Lisa! First impression: the design is a knockout. Very nicely done! Crisp, clear, concise, ... great photos, great maps, ... very nice! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peabody

Post by Peabody » March 3rd, 2014, 6:13 pm

Love it! Very pretty. Signed up for the launch party and I'm hoping to hear a little about how the maps were created.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » March 8th, 2014, 10:16 am

Looks like a lovely book. Congratulations.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

LisaDHolmes

Post by LisaDHolmes » March 11th, 2014, 8:11 am

Thanks for the nice compliments! I'm a graphic designer, so getting to design a book about one of my favorite subjects was a dream project.
Lisa Holmes
"I Heart Oregon (& Washington): 25 of the Portland Area's Best Hikes" and "I Heart Oregon's Seven Wonders"
Instagram @lisadholmes

Charley

Post by Charley » March 11th, 2014, 10:44 am

Nicely done!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » March 11th, 2014, 8:14 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have Tr 427 mislabelled :(

Oneonta (424) continues south on Franklin Ridge and all the way until it curves around and hits Larch Mtn Rd.. The orange trail in the image below is the only bit that is technically Tr#427
427.jpg
I'm also fairly sure Tr.438 (horsetail) carries through past Ainsworth

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » March 17th, 2014, 11:44 am

Great job! The maps look pretty good. To me that's more important that the text and pictures.

Hiking books rarely have the pertinent map details I think they should. That why I make my own.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 17th, 2014, 11:57 am

Born2BBrad wrote:The maps look pretty good. ... Hiking books rarely have the pertinent map details I think they should. That why I make my own.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

LisaDHolmes

Post by LisaDHolmes » March 21st, 2014, 5:40 pm

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have Tr 427 mislabelled
Larch: thank you for pointing this out! You are correct about 424 and 427. I can fix the map so all future printing is corrected. This is a print on demand book, which is nice for instances like this. I was hoping that there were no mistakes, but, alas, there almost always is at least one. ; )
Lisa Holmes
Instagram @lisadholmes