WTB - Oregon map for Garmin

Classifieds are for posting non-commercial offers of goods and services among forum members related to hiking, hiking gear and other directly related items of interest. All new topics require moderator approval.
Paul

WTB - Oregon map for Garmin

Post by Paul » September 23rd, 2013, 12:50 pm

I can't find my mapsource US West CD. Anyone have either the Mapsource or another map CD for sale? Thanks!
Last edited by Paul on September 23rd, 2013, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
- Will Rogers

vibramhead

Re: WTB - Oregon map for Garmin

Post by vibramhead » September 23rd, 2013, 1:04 pm

Why not just download the free/shareware Northwest Topos from Switchbacks? Includes (mostly, but not always accurate, but better than Garmin's) trails in red.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Paul

Post by Paul » September 23rd, 2013, 1:13 pm

Is it pretty good? I have most of the Mapsource Oregon loaded onto my GPS, but I'm missing one unit I'm heading to in October. If I delete it to try that one, I'll for sure lose it.
- Will Rogers

Guy

Post by Guy » September 23rd, 2013, 2:09 pm

Is it pretty good? I have most of the Mapsource Oregon loaded onto my GPS, but I'm missing one unit I'm heading to in October. If I delete it to try that one, I'll for sure lose it.
Well not necessarily, are your maps on an SD card in your unit? if so you can just use your pc to rename the gmapsupp file to something else like gmapsupp_old. Older garmins can only see this one file name so if you name it something else it's like it's not there. Then (assuming you have space on your card of course) you can try the Northwest Topos maps without deleting your other mapset.

I keep several map sets on my card & just switch names depending which one I want to use, actually I almost always use Eric's Gorge Mapset unless I am outside of that mapset's area.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 23rd, 2013, 2:15 pm

Northwest topos is much better than Garmin software - 40 foot contours, the trails are more accurate

But doesn't include south east Oregon - Steens, Pueblos, Hart Mountain, Strawberry Mountain

Does include Wallowas, Mill Creek, Rogue River, Crescent City

Northwest topos takes more memory, so maybe you need to buy a new card, but that's cheap

Paul

Post by Paul » September 23rd, 2013, 8:17 pm

Thanks guys. Hopefully is has NE Oregon, I need the area in the Blue Mountains above the Grande Rhonde.

Guy, do I just move the zip file onto the Garmin next to the renamed file?
- Will Rogers

Guy

Post by Guy » September 24th, 2013, 5:19 am

Paul wrote:Thanks guys. Hopefully is has NE Oregon, I need the area in the Blue Mountains above the Grande Rhonde.

Guy, do I just move the zip file onto the Garmin next to the renamed file?
No, you would use mapsource or basecamp to install the maps to your Garmin (after renaming your current mapset file) as you would with your other maps. You will first need to install the maps on your pc so that Mapsource or basecamp can see them. Follow the instructions that come with the mapset to do that.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 24th, 2013, 6:13 am

Yeah, install it on your PC, then you can see it and see if it's what you want.

Don't download to your GPS unless you're happy, then it won't wipe out what's already on your GPS.

When you download a map to the GPS, it wipes out any maps already downloaded.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 24th, 2013, 7:57 am

retired jerry wrote:When you download a map to the GPS, it wipes out any maps already downloaded.
Depends on your unit. I have three different mapsets loaded on my (Oregon 450) GPS, that I can flop between.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Paul

Post by Paul » September 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Guy wrote:
Well not necessarily, are your maps on an SD card in your unit? if so you can just use your pc to rename the gmapsupp file to something else like gmapsupp_old. Older garmins can only see this one file name so if you name it something else it's like it's not there. Then (assuming you have space on your card of course) you can try the Northwest Topos maps without deleting your other mapset.

I keep several map sets on my card & just switch names depending which one I want to use, actually I almost always use Eric's Gorge Mapset unless I am outside of that mapset's area.
Can I just rename and pull the gmapsupp file onto my PC? Then pull the files from the new set? I assume I would need to zip it and rename it "gmapsupp"?
- Will Rogers