Announcing Off the Beaten Trail: 50 fantastic unknown hikes

Classifieds are for posting non-commercial offers of goods and services among forum members related to hiking, hiking gear and other directly related items of interest. All new topics require moderator approval.
mattisnotfrench

Announcing Off the Beaten Trail: 50 fantastic unknown hikes

Post by mattisnotfrench » April 21st, 2013, 6:35 pm

After four years of work I am pleased to announce the publication of my first hiking guide, Off the Beaten Trail: 50 fantastic unknown hikes in NW Oregon and SW Washington. In the guide you’ll discover new hikes within 2.5 hours of the Portland metro area, from a hidden canyon in Forest Park to a turquoise lake deep in the Mount Jefferson backcountry. There are hikes in here that will surprise even the most avid and experienced hiker.

Here is a taste of what you’ll find in the book:

Fish Creek
Fish Creek 02.JPG
Fish Creek 06.JPG
Butte Camp
Butte Camp 07.JPG
Butte Camp 05.JPG
Fifteenmile Creek
Fifteenmile Creek 01.JPG
Fifteenmile Creek 04.JPG
Bear Point
Bear Point 05.jpg
Wild Cheat Meadow to Triangulation Peak
Wild Cheat Triangulation 01.JPG
Wild Cheat Triangulation 04.JPG
Wild Cheat Triangulation 06.JPG
Wild Cheat Triangulation 07.JPG
This book was a labor of love and I can honestly say I would not have finished it without the help of this website and those who spend their time here. You gave me new ideas, answered my questions, gave me photography tips and helped me figure out a lot of things. I really cannot thank everybody here enough – and indeed, Portland Hikers is mentioned in the acknowledgements section of my book.

As Peder mentioned in this post in the Hiking Events page, I am speaking on May 01 at the Mazamas Mountaineering Center (527 SE 43rd Avenue, Portland) at 7PM. I am also speaking at the Oregon Nordic Club meeting at the Multnomah Arts Center (7688 SW Capitol Hwy, Portland) on Tuesday, May 07 at 7:30PM. There may be more events as the season progresses.

To order the book from my website, click on the link in my signature. The book will also be available at a reduced price at both of my speaking engagements.

I will also be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks for reading!

Matt
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Peder

Re: Announcing Off the Beaten Trail: 50 fantastic unknown hi

Post by Peder » April 21st, 2013, 9:37 pm

I do not think that I have visited a single spot in the pictures in the above post! That makes your book very attractive to me!

EDIT: OK one... Sorry :oops:
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » April 22nd, 2013, 4:40 am

Peder wrote:I do not think that I have visited a single spot in the pictures in the above post! That makes your book very attractive to me!

EDIT: OK one... Sorry :oops:
4/5 isn't bad though! I'm assuming Butte Camp is the one you've been to? If you've done the Loowit Trail you've been by there. The Butte Camp Trail is beautiful and worth doing again and again.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Peder

Post by Peder » April 22nd, 2013, 6:22 am

mattisnotfrench wrote:4/5 isn't bad though! I'm assuming Butte Camp is the one you've been to?
Correct! So I need to study the other ones...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 22nd, 2013, 6:57 am

Matt,

Looking forward to checking out your book and I'll probably show up at one of your presentations. Congrats for putting this together!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » April 23rd, 2013, 8:20 am

Nice! I know what I'll be using part of my amazon gift card birthday present for now!

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 23rd, 2013, 8:30 pm

Matt was kind enough to send me a preview copy, and I can say it is well worth the money. He has some very interesting hikes in the book and he has good background detail on the hikes as well as detailed maps, etc.

Highly recommended! Nice work, Matt!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 24th, 2013, 7:04 am

Congratulations, Matt! Just finished reading my copy, and you've done a really nice job on this! Not only will you be helping people go beyond the "Sullivan trails", you'll also be helping keep those "trails less traveled" open in the future by virtue of a few more boots (and hooves) thumping along them -- thanks for that!

Tom :)

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » April 28th, 2013, 8:02 pm

I am pleased to announce that the book is now available at Powell's City of Books downtown! I am very excited about this.

Stop by and pick up a copy!

Martell

Post by Martell » April 28th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Just got mine- thanks for the quick shipping.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper