Interest in Photography tours

Classifieds are for posting non-commercial offers of goods and services among forum members related to hiking, hiking gear and other directly related items of interest. All new topics require moderator approval.
pyles_94

Interest in Photography tours

Post by pyles_94 » January 22nd, 2012, 4:31 pm

This is just a thought of mine, and I'd like to hear some feedback.

I was thinking of offering private workshops for landscape photography. The idea would be to head to any location in the northwest area and shoot with a private instructor for working with a dslr camera in scenic areas, including overnight, and day trips to places that many of you in this forum frequent. My price would probably be somewhere in the range of 100-200$ per day.

Again, this if not necessarily an advertisement... I just want to hear some opinions.

Thanks!>
Jamey Pyles

skookum chetwoot

Re: Interest in Photography tours

Post by skookum chetwoot » January 25th, 2012, 3:57 am

Kinda spendy. Living in the present economic crunch, inexperience photographers wouldn't have that kind of cash flow for an outdoor landscape photo workshop. Maybe the price would be right if the $100 to $200 is including transportation, overnight accommendations and food.
Our Forests are so unique. Trying to experience, to grasp, to feel what the Chinook, the Clackamas, the Molallas and others have left for us. Their blood, sweat, triumphs and tears are forever embedded in these hills and forests. Let is not be in vain.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » January 25th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm aware of the permits, and I'll definitely be looking into them.

I would consider food being part of the package, as I enjoy outdoor cooking, and wouldn't mind spending a few bucks on a meal for a customer if we don't backpack. Transportation would be good, too... however I would want it to be open to them.....If they didn't want to risk driving with a stranger, I wouldn't want to make them, especially for liability reasons. If we planned on going to a spot with rough roads, ideally they would want to hop into my vehicle if it were better suited for the terrain.
Jamey Pyles

skookum chetwoot

Post by skookum chetwoot » January 25th, 2012, 6:33 pm

:) If I had the money, I would definitely go. And if I do get enough in the future, I will call you 1st. I always need help taking better outdoor shots, and you sound pretty cool. Do you have a Flickr or Photobucket account that has your work? Thanks for the suggestion for a photo shop outdoors. Good job!

Skookum Chetwoot
Ghost Bear
Our Forests are so unique. Trying to experience, to grasp, to feel what the Chinook, the Clackamas, the Molallas and others have left for us. Their blood, sweat, triumphs and tears are forever embedded in these hills and forests. Let is not be in vain.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 25th, 2012, 9:31 pm

I think your best bet is to go on a tour with a couple established photographers to see what they provide for their charges. Consider it research.

Are you are planning on taking people beyond a short trip off a trailhead or beyond the normal "tripod holes"? If you are, already addressed is the issue of permits and I would expect a need for liability insurance. In spite of the fact you may have them sign a waiver you are still at risk. But that is just cost of business and be prepared for a mix of abilities.

Some thoughts about leading the tour. Are you the instructor or are you planning on teaming up with somebody? If you are teaming up then that will need to be calculated in the price if you are paying somebody. If you are the instructor, then that is another matter. Your photos are incredible and you are awesome however because of your age I would first get some gallery showings, etc under your belt i.e. work on building a name, it won't take you long and soon people will be flocking to you.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 26th, 2012, 7:55 am

Once you get past all the hoops mentioned above, you would also need to give some thought to marketing and how you'll make yourself stand out from the crowd. Seems like many serious nature photographers in the PNW have gotten into the workshop business in recent years. I have no idea if there's a lot of demand for that kind of thing, but if demand isn't terribly high then the market might already be saturated with teachers.

jdemott

Post by jdemott » January 26th, 2012, 8:47 am

I'd guess that there are a good number of visitors to Portland who would like to get out and enjoy some hiking and the opportunity to take some beautiful photos. These might include business people with a free day or two, or spouses accompanying business travelers, as well as vacationers who don't know how to go about finding trail maps, transportation, etc. in an unfamiliar area. For those sorts of customers, a fee in the range you suggest is probably quite reasonable. One good way to market to that audience might be through the hotels and motels--contact concierges at big hotels (they'll probably want a commission), leave brochures in motel lobbies, etc. A good web presence would be important too.

For local residents seeking either photography instruction or guide services to remote locations, I would guess that might be a niche market that would tend to be price sensitive. For those seeking instruction, there are various local photographers who offer instructional workshops in various outdoor locations at group rates. For people who are looking to hike in the backcountry, many or most of them are probably like the people on this forum and are able to find their way without a guide(on their own or with friends). I'm not saying there isn't a market, just that it might be harder to reach.

Others have mentioned the need for various permits, insurance, etc., so I won't repeat that advice. Contacting others who are already in the business (either photographers or guides) could be informative. You'll probably find some who aren't eager to aid a potential competitor and others who are friendly and helpful.

Good luck with your venture.

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » January 26th, 2012, 4:36 pm

These are all things thought about, and I know I need to do them to be legal with it. You can see why it is unlikely I will lower the price very much from where I estimated it.... Even then, it may be pretty hard to profit. But the experience of being a teacher and guide is something that will help me grow, and give me a chance to get my name out there even more.

After selling photos at a market in my hometown, there seems to be a good sized group that is at least interested. I think the only way for myself to stand above the crowd is to be the first one they find, which means I need to be assertive in it. I've been working on it.... Got into a gallery in Oregon City, and got my name out there big time.... I sold 2 pieces at $650 in the first month. But I think what encouraged me the most about the gallery experience is that the gallery owner and everyone who walked by couldn't stop talking about the pictures I was showing. These people were convinced that I had something special going on, simply because I was the only person there with bright, shiny landscape photos. I sell so many more photos in person than I do online, because of this. If they are online, they can find anybody to buy from. There are many of us with similar techniques, locations, etc.

Jdemott, your idea to contact travel agencies is a great one. I'll look into that... But only if I proceed further with this.

Thank you all for the thoughts!
Jamey Pyles

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » January 26th, 2012, 4:37 pm

BTW,

My work can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pyles_94/
http://www.facebook.com/jameypylesphotography

Making a professional website will be a step I'll need to do as well, before any of this takes place.
Jamey Pyles

geographics

Post by geographics » January 26th, 2012, 4:59 pm

.=