Brushy Trails in "Upper" Salmon River Area (Sept 27, 2008)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
adamschneider

Brushy Trails in "Upper" Salmon River Area (Sept 27, 2008)

Post by adamschneider » September 27th, 2008, 7:58 pm

I put "Upper" in quotes because the grumpy guy at the Zigzag Ranger Station sternly informed me that "Sullivan is WRONG" and there is no "Upper Salmon River" trail. Yeah yeah, fine... but I still wanted to know about the eastern Salmon River Trail trailhead, south of Trillium Lake.

Anyway, I finally got him to show me the area on a map, and planned a loop hike: from the trailhead on FR 309, we'd go northwest on the Salmon River Trail (#742) to the intersection with the Dry Lake Trail (#672). Then west for a couple miles to the Fir Tree Trail (#674), which would take us down to the Salmon River, at which point we'd catch the Salmon River Trail eastbound back to the car.

Heading out of the trailhead, the Salmon River Trail seemed a bit rough, but it was nothing compared to the Dry Lake Trail, which was completely overrun by rhododendrons. The trail was clearly visible at every point, but a lot of branches had to be shoved aside. It wouldn't have bothered me much if I'd been alone, but my wife was NOT happy about the bushwhacking... so after about 1.5 miles, we headed back to the car. (She was much happier an hour later picking apples in the Hood River Valley than she would have been if we'd kept going.)

Basically, I'm just posting here to let people know that these lesser-known trails near the east end of the Salmon River Trail are in need of some maintenance, and you should be prepared for it.

Also, note that autumn has NOT arrived at the 3500-foot level south of Mt. Hood! There were very very few signs of fall color: just a handful of reddish huckleberry leaves (most were still green though). It felt just like summer but with less daylight.

fettster

Re: "Upper" Salmon River area, 9/27/08

Post by fettster » September 28th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Is this trailhead further up the road from where the lower Salmon River trail starts?

bjul49

Post by bjul49 » October 2nd, 2008, 3:14 pm

No, you go in near Trillium Lake, directions also in Douglas Lorain's Afoot and Afield. I saw a bear there ,hiking alone a couple of years ago.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 2nd, 2008, 10:48 pm

Yeah, what bjul49 said. You drive right past Trillium Lake and go a few miles further south & west.