Tugman State Park trail maintenance

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
coaster

Tugman State Park trail maintenance

Post by coaster » July 26th, 2022, 10:22 pm

Hello, everyone,

I'm new to this group, having joined a few months ago looking for terse trail partners (laconic acceptable), but came across this need before I had my intro ready.

There's an absolutely beautiful 3 mile in, 3 mile out hike around Eel Lake in Tugman State Park in Lakeside on the central/south coast that's in serious need of maintenance for the last mile.

This is a family friendly hike, but is also good for anyone who wants to give their bods a workout. The ever changing views of Eel Lake's many coves keep it interesting too.

Big problem right now is that with the summer growing season, the last part of the trail has become closed off. I was fending off foliage with my hiking poles but would love to be part of a work crew with machetes.

Are there any work crews scheduled for this? If not, how does one go about organizing one? I talked to a park ranger there and he said they just don't have the people to do this.

Thanks!

bobcat

Re: Tugman State Park trail maintenance

Post by bobcat » July 30th, 2022, 4:41 pm

I've done that Eel Lake hike and put it in our Field Guide:

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Eel_Lake_Hike

Trailkeepers of Oregon has work crews on the Coast and may be able to take this on. The problem is that the section you are talking about is on private land. This was a "conservation easement" at the time I hiked it. If the status has changed, you're out of luck. Even so, it would take some bureaucratic juggling to get a regular trails organization to go in there, dealing with different jurisdictions. You may be better off organizing your own élite guerrilla group.

coaster

Post by coaster » August 1st, 2022, 4:30 pm

Good question!

I believe it is still a conservation easement from just after the 1 mile mark to the trail end at 3 miles. The shrubbery turned me back on the one day I was determined to get to the end, so haven't been able to check out that last 3/4 of a mile. I'll check again with the Tugman park ranger.

Thanks for considering this and for the trail report. Those beautiful pictures and trail description show why this hike is so special: the lake views, the tall trees and lush understory, the forgiving grade with elevation gains that are just enough for short workouts followed by enough level to rest up for the next one.

If it turns out there aren't any trail crews available for this, I may just have to take along my camping bowsaw and sneak in a few whacks the next time out. "Who me, ranger? This here's just for self defence - old ladies need some sort of protection!"

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 2nd, 2022, 5:24 am

loppers work good

in my experience

when I've been caught wacking plants nobody has ever complained

coaster

Post by coaster » August 2nd, 2022, 6:50 pm

I did check with a ranger at Tugman yesterday, and just casually mentioned ordinary hikers attacking the shrubbery, not saying I was going to do it or anything. She was adamant that a private party doing that would be violating the conservation easement, so it's a no-go for super law abiders like me. Forest guerillas may have other views, though.

The ranger also said she'd see if the park supervisor could get in touch with me. They're super busy this week because of "Dunefest", but hopefully after that's over there'll be time to consider trail maintenance options. Legal ones only of course. :P

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 3rd, 2022, 6:57 am

I can see how the authorities would be skeptical of users maintaining trail

People sometimes hack vegetation, or create a maze of "trails". Well intentioned maintenance can actually be damaging.

The main thing I do is throw branches off trails. Especially if there are a bunch that are difficult to walk over.

Or, I'll take my folding saw. For a branch that impedes flow on the trail, I'll cut it off at least 3 feet from the center of the trail. Preferably, flush with the tree or bigger branch. Throw the branch at least 6 feet off the trail. But if that annoys the authorities I won't do it.

Sometimes "better to ask forgiveness than permission"?

Sometimes, someone will cut off a branch just barely enough for people to get by. Then, someone else will have to cut it further back. If I cut it off at least 3 feet from the center then more able maintainers can deal with the bigger logs I can't handle.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 8th, 2022, 12:40 pm

coaster wrote:
August 2nd, 2022, 6:50 pm
She was adamant that a private party doing that would be violating the conservation easement.
That makes sense. Good you checked. I wonder who the team was that originally cleared out that trail.

coaster

Post by coaster » August 21st, 2022, 11:43 am

Good question as to who originally cleared the trail. I'll see if someone knows next time I'm by there.

I did go for a hike there recently (as opposed to paddle, this area can drive you nuts trying to choose between so many good options!). A lot of brush cutting had been done on the first mile and 5/8ths, including one narrow section where it had been badly needed. The trail widens out again past the newly maintained part, so cutting back isn't as necessary for the next 1/2 mile or so.

Dunefest was finally over with so I asked about the trail at the state park. The ranger there said she thought that some park rangers had been doing work on the trail but didn't know for certain. I'll check again next time I go through.

From the trip report and my having recently paddled up to the outside of the area, it looks like thorough maintenance on the last 1/2 mile may not be worth it just now, if that section just peters out in swamp with no views of either the woods or the lake. It may also make more sense to wait until late fall or winter, when the brush isn't so close to the path and the mosquitoes are gone.