Cast Creek Trail 773

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
jime

Cast Creek Trail 773

Post by jime » July 30th, 2021, 5:33 pm

As much as I appreciate the DIY trail maintenance, I hope it is done safely. This "fail" made me wonder.
IMG_1610.jpg
saw chain and bar casualty, ouch!
IMG_1611.jpg
other end of log
Unfinished work. Never mind this was only 1/10 mile past the wilderness registration box.

In other news, the Cast Creek trail has a normal amount of blowdown (normal for this year). Entirely doable for hikers, but problematic for horses. Too bad, since it's right next to the Riley Horse Camp. Nice trail, few people on a Wed.

retired jerry

Re: Cast Creek Trail 773

Post by retired jerry » July 31st, 2021, 5:55 am

I was up there a couple weeks ago. Yeah, not too bad. Takes a little extra time to get around all the obstacles.

I remember that tree, but I didn't look close enough to see the broken chainsaw blade. Chain must have snapped and blade got stuck. How the H do they go from there? I'm glad that I got rid of all my chainsaws :)

Don Nelsen

Re: Cast Creek Trail 773

Post by Don Nelsen » July 31st, 2021, 9:07 am

Wow, that's an ugly mess. I've had my chainsaw bar get stuck a few times before I learned how not to do it. I always carry a couple wedges and a good hand saw for the rare time it happens and have always fixed the problem. Whoever did this must be a total noob. Not to have gone back to finish the job makes them irresponsible as well.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller