Mazama Trail logout FINAL UPDATE

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Rick

Mazama Trail logout FINAL UPDATE

Post by Rick » July 12th, 2021, 4:32 pm

As many of you know, OK, all of you, the Labor Day windstorm last year was a doozy. The Mazamas had just cleared the Mazama trail in mid-August only to have 97 more trees come down in one day. A joint trip between of few of us and a USFS fire crew managed to get a third of them cleared out in October. This included an intimidating section of jackstrawed and elevated problems.

I knew the usual winter damage would add to our count and we were up to 112 in mid-June this year, not counting what I couldn't see under the snow above about 4800'. Some preliminary work has already been done and I hope to report back here next week that the trail is all clear. Likely, it will be more like "mostly clear", but I'll let you know.

Update: The tree count of 112 was revised to 150 after scouting the upper mile of trail previously hidden by snow. Arrgghhh. Between the work done on the initial scouting, then a small private party trip, and finally our recent three day effort, we are now down to 40 logs. There is one tangle of green trees at about 3.2 miles in that will likely not be removed due to complexity, but a very short bypass has been flagged around the east side, brush free too! The first mile of trail has been fully groomed, the rest is in decent shape other than a few sections of logs to step over. We'll try to finish it off before the hiking season is totally gone.

As of August 30, the trail is log free bottom to top minus the afore-mentioned tangle that is by passable. Tread, drains and brushing is 70% done and after 12 days on the trail this will likely remain that way. I think I have a trail Rx hangover. But it was fun working with a diverse group of newbies and seasoned veterans this year.
Last edited by Rick on August 30th, 2021, 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Waffle Stomper

Re: Mazama Trail logout 7/14-17

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 12th, 2021, 4:57 pm

Thank you for all your work.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

IdahoNative

Post by IdahoNative » July 12th, 2021, 5:51 pm

We moved what we could when we were there 6/20, plus broke up the fire ring in the parking lot and picked up the shotgun shells. Plus politely informed a biker that it's a hikers-only trail. :roll:

This is one of my favorite trails and I appreciate your work to maintain it!

Rick

Post by Rick » July 13th, 2021, 5:49 am

Hmm, never had a biker before! The fire rings and casings are on the rise too, thanks for the cleanup!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 14th, 2021, 9:50 pm

Leave the lowest downed trees, and you'll discourage bicyclists.