Poison oak enchroaching between Catherine Creek and Coyote Wall (Atwood/Labyrinth)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
walrus

Poison oak enchroaching between Catherine Creek and Coyote Wall (Atwood/Labyrinth)

Post by walrus » April 17th, 2021, 5:50 pm

It may be that I have yet to be in the area this late in the season, but there was quite a bit of enthusiastic poison oak encroaching both the Atwood and Labyrinth trails today. Enough that no matter how narrow I made myself, I still got a few brushes from a leaf or twig. (also saw a gopher snake slither off into a positive thicket of poison oak, dragging her breakfast mouse behind her)

In my memory, poison oak is present/vigorous, but cut back from the trails. Although I'm usually there in late March/early April, rather than at the end of a particularly warm and sunny week.

Whatever the case may be, stock up on Tecnu or your mitigant of choice if you're headed that way. PS: if you go in the next few days, there are calypsos in woods long the Atwood traverse!

drm

Re: Poison oak enchroaching between Catherine Creek and Coyote Wall (Atwood/Labyrinth)

Post by drm » April 20th, 2021, 12:43 pm

The Labyrinth Trail is infamous for poison oak. No short pants unless you are immune. Coyote Wall has very little.

cosmic_kumquat

Re: Poison oak enchroaching between Catherine Creek and Coyote Wall (Atwood/Labyrinth)

Post by cosmic_kumquat » May 12th, 2021, 12:28 pm

Haven't been out there yet this season but the poison oak along Lyle Cherry Orchard a few weeks back was intense! I made a rookie mistake a few weeks prior on the Multnomah/Wahkeena loop and paid the price in the form of a horrible outbreak for weeks. It seems like it's a bad year for it already.