Slide emerging on Larch Mountain Trail 441?

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
walrus

Slide emerging on Larch Mountain Trail 441?

Post by walrus » December 22nd, 2020, 7:52 pm

A quarter to half a mile upstream from the bridge after the junction with Wahkeena/420. - the cliffy/edgy section - multiple cracks running 1-6 inches from the edge. Sorry no pics, didn't want to stand around on a crumbling cliff, you know? Sent forest service an email.

squidvicious

Re: Slide emerging on Larch Mountain Trail 441?

Post by squidvicious » December 23rd, 2020, 7:09 am

I went through there yesterday. I believe it's just below the section that was shored up with gabions a few years back. The part lowest on the trail has already dropped by a foot or so. Beyond that there's a deep crack for several yards, but that edge hasn't actually moved yet. Until we get another rain like we just had, anyway.

There is room to walk past without putting weight on the cracked edge, though it's tight in some places.

Petr

Post by Petr » December 24th, 2020, 7:04 pm

I went through the area on 12-23 and took pictures.
The slid section and cracks are obvious (close up picture).
ObviousCrack12232020.jpg
What is not obvious to someone not paying attention is that there is now cracks on the uphill side of the trail that extend to the south starting 3 feet uphill from the slid section. Over 50 feet of trail is now in danger! I built a rock and stick cairn/teepee at the south end to alert anyone coming down the trail. In the second picture (looking north/downstream) the upper crack starts near the uphill side of the large burned tree and runs parallel to the other crack (hard to see unless you zoom in). Survival questionable if the whole trail gives way!
NotObviousCracks12232020.jpg
Well Jim, where to next?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 27th, 2020, 10:02 pm

I swear, sometimes it seems like it would be safer to just hike offtrail. :D

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » December 28th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Looked about the same today when I went by. I think all the heavy rain coming in will cause this to move further.
I think we need to change the name of one of our forums to “Off Trail Chip Reports”! 😁
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 28th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Chip Down wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 10:02 pm
I swear, sometimes it seems like it would be safer to just hike offtrail. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 31st, 2020, 11:52 am

that "cliff" doesn't look that steep

you could just jump off it and stop immediately

maybe go to the part that's starting to slide and jump up and down on it trying to get it to release?

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » April 7th, 2022, 7:47 am

An update on this slide from last winter: the main stretch of trail that had cracked and was slipping stabilized and doesn't seem to have had further issues this winter.

BUT the beginning of the section, approaching from the downhill side, has continued to get worse. A couple feet of trail are basically gone now. There's a little shelf of level trail remaining that's just about wide enough to set your foot as you hug the tree. It's really just that one step, but it looks like a decidedly unpleasant place to slip.