Herman Creek trees down

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
drm

Herman Creek trees down

Post by drm » November 12th, 2020, 7:45 am

Hiked 5+ miles up Herman Creek yesterday - a number of trees down. I wished I had my folding saw - most were either small or had small branches that needed to be removed. I will take one next time I head up there, but in case anybody else can . . .

retired jerry

Re: Herman Creek trees down

Post by retired jerry » November 12th, 2020, 8:36 am

I've done that before, up Herman Creek with folding saw, amazing what you can clean up

I just haven't happened to go up there since the fire, now's my chance

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 12th, 2020, 9:34 am

Go for it, Jerry!

Does this mean the regular Herman Creek Trailhead is open again? The USFS website says it is still closed . . .

Aimless

Post by Aimless » November 12th, 2020, 9:59 am

bobcat wrote:
November 12th, 2020, 9:34 am
Does this mean the regular Herman Creek Trailhead is open again? The USFS website says it is still closed . . .
I have the same question. If it's open now that's useful news.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 12th, 2020, 1:09 pm

A better route than the regular TH has always been open via the original Herman Creek Road. Start at 45 41.364 x -121 50.034. Turn right after one third of a mile after crossing under the powerlines.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

drm

Post by drm » November 14th, 2020, 8:32 am

Right, I'm using that alternate route from Herman Creek Rd. Note Don's comment about turning right when the road goes left under the power lines. Don't turn right immediately under the power lines the other way. Turn right just after that on a more overgrown dirt road. I believe the trail is only closed from the normal trailhead to the Herman Bridge junction, and there are no closure signs on this route.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 14th, 2020, 8:46 am

drm wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 8:32 am
Right, I'm using that alternate route from Herman Creek Rd. Note Don's comment about turning right when the road goes left under the power lines. Don't turn right immediately under the power lines the other way. Turn right just after that on a more overgrown dirt road. I believe the trail is only closed from the normal trailhead to the Herman Bridge junction, and there are no closure signs on this route.
Dean, Thanks for clarifying the directions. I'll add: The distance via this route is exactly the same as if you parked on the frontage road by the normal route to the TH. Here's a photo of the start of the "more overgrown dirt road". It's even got a FS number on it!
This route is being maintained, too. A large fallen tree that was across the road last year has been removed. Also, I saw recent tire marks last summer and the poison oak has been spot sprayed to keep it at bay. Nice!

Up until about 40 years ago, there was no gate and you could drive this road all the way to the regular trail. I did it only once but it wasn't in as good a condition then, and never drove it again.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 14th, 2020, 10:16 am

Someone stole gas from my car parked in the upper Herman Creek Trailhead. Causing way more damage than the value of the gas. Not to worry, s... happens.

I wonder if that alternate trailhead would be safer. It's not as well known to any thieves.

I assume there are spots to park?

Maybe parking on the frontage road would be best because it's visible to Forest Service buildings and cars driving by.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 14th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Lots of places to park. Wide shoulder on both sides.

drm

Post by drm » November 15th, 2020, 8:31 am

I think rangers used to use that road to access the lower section of the trail where it is wide enough. I've seen FS vehicles on the regular trail and am pretty sure they used that road, but it doesn't appear to have been driven on recently and it was a few years ago that I saw that truck up there. And that FS road number is partly painted over. The number is not 02, I don't remember the rest of it.

I thought it was a little farther than the route on the normal trail. It must start a little lower down since you don't have that drive up past the campground.