Vista Ridge TH access blocked by downed trees

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Openminded2

Vista Ridge TH access blocked by downed trees

Post by Openminded2 » October 12th, 2020, 10:59 am

About 8m shy of Vista Ridge TH NF-16 is blocked.

Please post when accessible, or respond with where to monitor.

Thanks
Attachments
97136E0A-E104-49F9-BDBA-649E5E99CB5F.jpeg
21F96DCA-31A8-4DAC-9D6B-C7BD00D6057C.jpeg
2003B02B-76E9-4C30-B7AD-FA5FCC0B13CB.png
Last edited by Openminded2 on October 14th, 2020, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
It can’t be anything that a cup of tea won’t help

Webfoot

Re: Vista Ridge TH access blocked by downed trees

Post by Webfoot » October 12th, 2020, 11:48 am

Noted on the Field Guide page. Thank you.

pcg

Post by pcg » October 13th, 2020, 7:55 am

A lot of people, like myself, carry chain saws in their truck, and will clear trees like this when they come across them. That’s how most forest roads get cleared. I would guess it’s clear by now.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2020, 8:02 am

same with trails I suspect

a lot of blowdown gets removed by hikers, except those big trees that require chainsaw or a big manual saw

I got rid of my chainsaw. Consider myself lucky that I never hurt myself with it

Openminded2

Post by Openminded2 » October 13th, 2020, 7:43 pm

pcg wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 7:55 am
A lot of people, like myself, carry chain saws in their truck, and will clear trees like this when they come across them. That’s how most forest roads get cleared. I would guess it’s clear by now.
Really?

Well thanks to all of you that clear the way for the rest of us!!

Terrific!
It can’t be anything that a cup of tea won’t help

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 14th, 2020, 5:04 am

Openminded2 wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 7:43 pm
pcg wrote:
Really?

Well thanks to all of you that clear the way for the rest of us!!

Terrific!
I would agree - most downed logs over roads (except main roads) are removed by volunteers.

On a related note, I really wish more people would take a bit more of an active role in trail maintenance - it never ceases to amaze me how many people step around logs and debris over trails that is easily thrown off the trail. If everyone were to throw debris off the trail as they hike it would make for a lot less work for the crews with the saws as well as keep the trails in better shape. It is REALLY easy to do and I'm constantly amazed at how many people don't do it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 14th, 2020, 5:40 am

yeah!

same here, I encounter branches that people have just walked over a lot too, so easy to throw them off

individual branches easily walked over aren't that big a deal one way or another, but when there are a bunch it can be difficult. People start walking around them. If it's a steep slope that can be difficult.

Same here - I figure if I throw off the branches I can, then when a trail crew with big saw comes by they won't waste their time on easy stuff

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 14th, 2020, 8:55 am

pcg wrote:
All I carry is a bow saw and I've never tried to clear anything as large as the farther tree. Do you use your truck to move the cut log?

pcg

Post by pcg » October 14th, 2020, 9:09 am

Webfoot wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 8:55 am
Do you use your truck to move the cut log?
Yes. Limb it only as much as necessary. Cut it in large pieces. Chain them up and drag them off the road.
I'll admit I only do this when it benefits myself so my motive is not so altruistic. If there is an easier way around and I'm short of time I'll take that option. I will say though, when I clear a tree I clear the whole road. I don't get the folks who take the time to cut a path just barely wide enough for a vehicle to pass. If you're going to all the trouble to get the saw out, then properly finish the job. ;)

Limey

Post by Limey » October 14th, 2020, 10:39 am

We also always clear trees from the road. Hubby cuts them up and I drag them off the road. Couldn't possibly guess how many we've removed but it's a lot.