Vista Ridge TH access blocked by downed trees

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
oncorhyncus

Re: Vista Ridge TH access blocked by downed trees

Post by oncorhyncus » October 19th, 2020, 1:42 am

Road was clear as of Saturday. Even saw the troublemaking trees pulled to the side of the road.

Vista Ridge itself would probably also benefit from some similar work...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 19th, 2020, 3:18 pm

oncorhyncus wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 1:42 am
Road was clear as of Saturday. Even saw the troublemaking trees pulled to the side of the road.

Vista Ridge itself would probably also benefit from some similar work...
Thanks. Notice removed.

Openminded2

Post by Openminded2 » October 22nd, 2020, 9:35 pm

Thank you!
It can’t be anything that a cup of tea won’t help

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 25th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Huh, never occurred to me that so many volunteers are clearing roads. Thanks! That explains why so many roads are clear immediately after a big wind event.

I've had to clear downed trees twice, but fortunately they were rotten, and broke a bit on impact. Otherwise, I'd need a Plan B hike.

I don't give it much thought, but would be pretty miserable to be driving home and find yourself stuck on the wrong side of a tree across the road. :|

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 25th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Chip Down wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 5:52 pm
I don't give it much thought, but would be pretty miserable to be driving home and find yourself stuck on the wrong side of a tree across the road. :|
Yeah, that's why I keep a folding saw in my trunk. (But if it ever happens to me, the offending tree had better be less than 10 inches around!)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 26th, 2020, 5:30 am

yeah, I bring folding saw

you can saw bigger trunks

start by sawing in about half the saw length all the way around. My saw is 6.5 inches, 5.5 ounces, so I could saw a 12 inch log.

then, you could saw out a notch of wood and get the saw in there even more. A lot of work, but if all you have to do is wait for someone with a bigger saw...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 27th, 2020, 8:27 am

I keep a 30" bow saw in the trunk. I think it is faster than a smaller saw with a wider kerf. The first limitation would be the depth of the bow, and sawing out a notch as you describe will let that get deeper. I believe I could cut a 15" log this way, if I could figure out how to move it.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 27th, 2020, 9:27 am

I've taken out a lot of trees over roads but usually just smaller ones. Only once did I have to move one that fell after I'd driven by and had to remove to get back out. Glad I had the tool to do the job that day: June 1st, 2008:

I always carry a hand saw, just in case, but a chain saw makes the work oh so quick!
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller