Timberlin Trail- Elliot Crossing

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
walkin62

Timberlin Trail- Elliot Crossing

Post by walkin62 » June 25th, 2018, 7:12 am

Just an FYI for those itching to do the Timberline Trail. The brand new rebuilt section of trial on the west side of the Elliot did not survive the winter. There is a 40 to 50 foot debris flow there now that is loose and unstable. Hood River Ranger District says they will be assessing it, but there is no timeline yet for a possible fix.

retired jerry

Re: Timberlin Trail- Elliot Crossing

Post by retired jerry » June 25th, 2018, 7:30 am

that didn't last long :)

where is the debris flow? Blocking the trail? On which side of Eliot?

walkin62

Post by walkin62 » June 26th, 2018, 12:57 pm

The mess is completely across the trail on the west side. There is a trail crew working on it this week and they are hoping to have it done by the weekend. Sounds like it may still be slide prone, but should at least be usable and safer for most hikers.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 26th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Good they're fixing it and it's fixable.

I would have thought the east side, that seems more unstable

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 29th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Thanks for the report.
Honestly though, I'm not a fan of that new trail. I'll probably continue to use the old (formerly roped) crossing.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 30th, 2018, 12:01 am

Chip Down wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 5:31 pm
Honestly though, I'm not a fan of that new trail. I'll probably continue to use the old (formerly roped) crossing.
Me too. The new one is too long and loses way too much elevation.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 30th, 2018, 4:27 am

adamschneider wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 12:01 am
Chip Down wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 5:31 pm
Me too. The new one is too long and loses way too much elevation.
What’s your strategy for the old crossing? I did it last summer and went CW through it and dropped down the standard way easily to the bench and then went up-creek where it braided to cross and then went along the side slope and up gradually to the bench on the other side. I wasn’t sure if the old rope approach (without rope) would be too loose to get up? The way I went up was pretty exposed to perched rock from above potentially coming down on me (I kept a close eye on it) and it was a very loose-rock traverse. So I’m not sure it was the best way up. Any thoughts for next time?

Mike

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 30th, 2018, 5:23 am

Next time I'll use the new route, it's easier and safer

If I was not stopping at Cloud Cap, I might use one of the old routes because it saves a little elevation and distance. What you said sounds good, cross at the braid assuming that's still there.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 30th, 2018, 5:49 am

Jerry, in your experience, do you think it’s easier to follow the creek back downstream after the crossing and then go up steeply in the area of the old ropes (on the cloud cap side) or traverse up-slope from the braid to more gradually get up that bench?

In the past I’ve also eased off the bench on the Langille side and followed the creek downstream and easily rock-hopped the creek to the base of the ropes and then up, but I’ve not done it without the ropes and don’t recall if it’s too loose to do that safely.

Of course it can change year to year, but assuming it’s similar, If be curious what your approach would be.

Mike

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 30th, 2018, 6:13 am

I'd use the new trail :twisted:

To answer your question, that sounds good to traverse up from the braid. I'd just asses after I crossed. It's fun to just figure out where to go at the moment. You want to head to the ridge, up above, at the point the little trees stop and it just becomes loose rocks.

Probably the biggest risk is someone above dislodging a rock that hits you. I held onto the ropes, but it was possible to just walk up without rope. I never trusted them because they were out in the sun and subject to rocks hitting them and so forth. The ropes marked a passable route.