TKO Project - Angels Rest Final Work Party (July 5, 2008)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Jane

TKO Project - Angels Rest Final Work Party (July 5, 2008)

Post by Jane » July 5th, 2008, 11:25 pm

July 5,2008 - work party and hike on Angels Rest trail.

We had a small but gallant group of volunteers today, and the humidity was thick, the hard work was honest, and the humor was as tilty as this photo :lol: (sorry, my sloped car roof was my tri-pod, and it was raining)
7-5-08 Angels Rest work party.jpg
Jamie, Lindsay, Rick, Jeff, Dana, Jane, Gene.

Dana and Jamie, were our crew leaders today, here Jamie is giving us our "tailgate saftey talk":
7-5-08 Angels Rest tailgate safety talk.jpg
The plan today was was to work on decomissioning the old trail section, along with some rehabilitation efforts and scarifying (Jamie will explain I hope, pics of this work group will be from Rick later):
7-5-08 Angels Rest work on old trail.jpg
Some of us also worked on shoring up the switchback area, which included adding logs along here so it would look very uninviting to cut down (we also added many rocks in later):
7-5-08 Angels Rest logs lining switchback.jpg
and being that it was somewhat steep, we put in some "step checks":
7-5-08 Angels Rest making step checks.jpg
7-5-08 Angels Rest rock for step check.jpg
7-5-08 Angels Rest finishing step checks.jpg

MANY rocks and logs and dirt were "moved" today, and we were all winners for a Tide detergent "before" commercial ; ) .
After a late lunch break, we commemorated our - as well as all those that have helped on this project since April - HARD work and the amazing new trail section we had a part in building.
Ribbon cutting:
7-5-08 Angels Rest ribbon cutting.jpg

We then hiked up to the Angels Rest summit. There were many hikers on the trail all day today, and I think everyone thanked us and expressed their appreciation for all our work.
We agreed this really is a beautiful trail, and enjoyed the flowers and views along the way:
7-5-08 Angels Rest trailside flowers.jpg
7-5-08 Angels Rest colorful flowers.jpg
7-5-08 Angels Rest yellow flowers.jpg
7-5-08 Angels Rest view west.jpg
7-5-08 Angels Rest view north.jpg

We toasted (sparkling cider: ) to our project accomplishment, and to everyone who has been - and will be- a part of the Trailkeepers of Oregon - the fun and learning and comraderie, as well as the work, is something I invite anyone to not miss!
7-5-08 Angels Rest toasting Trailkeepers.jpg
Great job everyone!!

Splintercat

Re: Trailkeepers of Oregon -Angels Rest -final work party

Post by Splintercat » July 6th, 2008, 9:10 am

Great report, Jane - thanks everyone for the great work! Lots of interesting details on this outing, too..! I wish I could have been there JUST to hear Jamie give the "safety talk"... :)

Looking forward to getting up there and walking that new section. Very nice!

Tom

Jane

Post by Jane » July 6th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Hey Tom we missed you! Jamie's safety talk, and Jeff's commemoration-of-the new-trail speech were with confidence, commitment and heart-felt appreciation for this new endeavor many of us have stepped into.
The safety and work accomplished are important, but the laughs and team-work were contagious and part of the deal :)

Here's a couple more photos Rick shared of the work on the old trail:
TKO - 7-5-08 Angel's Rest trail before (R.P.).jpg
TKO 7-5-08 Angel's Rest trail after (R.P.).jpg

trailupdater

Post by trailupdater » July 7th, 2008, 7:41 am

Thank you each for all of your work on Angel's Rest. We went from snow to hot but you were all faithful to see this to completion. And thank you for not just showing up for the "glamourous" part of building a new trail, but also putting the old section to bed. That is just as, if not more, important. I look forward to working with you all more on future projects. Edan

jaimito

Post by jaimito » July 7th, 2008, 9:25 am

Thanks Edan, we haven't met yet but I'm sure we'll meet here soon on an upcoming project. Thanks to Dana and everyone for all the hard work. I love the before and after of the decommission, you would never know there was a trail there. Feels good to put that horrible section to rest…

Cheers / Jamie

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 7th, 2008, 9:40 am

it did feel good to beat on that section, didn't it?

What a steamy day! But our small but hard-working crew worked an hour past schedule and really kicked butt. So that project is done! It'll be interesting to get back up there in January after 6 months of traffic and weather to see how our work faired!

fettster

Post by fettster » July 7th, 2008, 11:10 am

Great job all! It's been fun to follow on PH the progress of this project to completion, and I'm glad I was able to come help at least once! It's clear the Angels Rest experience has been changed for the better for many feet and years to come.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 7th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Hey, speaking of before and after shots, I took some photos of the old section about a year ago (before I knew about Edan's plans) as an example of a trail suffering badly. I'll dig those up and see if they compare well (in perspective) to these shots for future TKO web purposes. The photos I took were quite dramatic, in a bad way, and would look great next to those decommissioned shots!

Thanks for taking lots of photos, folks!

Tom

Jane

Post by Jane » July 26th, 2008, 10:23 am

The TKO August event is being filled by another volunteer group, but there are MANY opportunities from other organizations looking for volunteers also ! :
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 2066#p2066

Jane

Post by Jane » August 22nd, 2008, 8:55 am

and here is TKO's next event you can volunteer for:
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... ead#unread