Larch Mountain Trail

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
squidvicious

Larch Mountain Trail

Post by squidvicious » October 25th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Very roughly halfway between the Wahkeena trail junction and the high water trail junction on the Larch Mtn trail is an old washout that had repair work done a few months ago, installing gabions (I think that's the right word) and cutting back into the hillside to widen the trail where the washout had narrowed it.

The hillside above has now slid down across the trail.

I first came across it a week ago, then had another look today. In some ways it's better today--it looks like someone has made an effort to clear the rocks and debris as much as they could (actually just had another look through the photos, and they cleared it up a lot). But it's also worse, because the last bit of trail on the far/uphill side of the damage is only about a boot-width wide, has nothing supporting it (ie it's past the gabions), and is starting to crumble. And if you're coming uphill, this isn't clear until you're on top of it.

I did try to take some pictures, but you can't really make anything out in them. I'll see if I can tweak them a bit.

forestkeeper

Re: Larch Mountain Trail

Post by forestkeeper » December 14th, 2016, 12:14 am

That hill has been coming down each year, more so with heavy precip. Most likely won't be up there until the snow quits falling.