Eliot Branch Crossing Status (see last post for update)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Charley

Re: Eliot Branch Crossing Status

Post by Charley » September 10th, 2016, 4:23 pm

I hiked the new route earlier this week. Not only is the trail perfectly walkable, the crossing itself has large, level, flat boulders in place for an easy step across! I've never seen that on the crossings up at MT Hood. I suspect it won't stay in place very long, but it's nice while it lasts. It was one of the easier large crossings on the Timberline Trail.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 10th, 2016, 4:36 pm

yeah, I bet that winter will change that and next year will be totally different

they carefully placed some large boulders to make it easy?

of course, the contractors had to cross it many times in the course of building this so it would have been worth taking extra time to make the crossing easy

Charley

Post by Charley » September 11th, 2016, 1:31 pm

retired jerry wrote: of course, the contractors had to cross it many times in the course of building this so it would have been worth taking extra time to make the crossing easy
That's a good point.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 16th, 2016, 7:01 pm

Moving this up to the top for awhile. I heard from the Hood River Ranger District today, and because they've made more progress than expected with the contractors this summer, they've decided to open the new Eliot Branch crossing, effective immediately. There's still a lot of volunteer work to polish it up this fall and early next summer, and the Forest Service will have a more ceremonial "official" opening next summer, but it is open to hikers now.

Tom :)

retired jerry

Re: Eliot Branch Crossing Status (see last post for update)

Post by retired jerry » September 21st, 2016, 12:50 pm

That's good because the new crossing is so much better, and people are using it :)

RobinB

Post by RobinB » September 22nd, 2016, 10:29 am

Took the new crossing yesterday: it's super posh! They've seemingly even placed large boulders in the creek, so that you can make a dry crossing with very little effort. Also, the TT between Cloud Cap and Elk Cove is fantastic! Hopefully the new crossing brings that hike back to the high prominence it deserves.

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 22nd, 2016, 11:13 am

I think alot of ppl that take that trail next year will be surprised by the Coe crossing. It can be downright treacherous. :shock:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 22nd, 2016, 12:29 pm

yeah, Coe crossing often difficult, otherwise really nice between Cloud cap and Elk Cove.

lpetticord

Post by lpetticord » September 28th, 2016, 8:18 pm

I did the Timberline Trail over Labor Day weekend clockwise. I took a screenshot of my strava route. No GPS markers, but you get the idea of where it goes.
Attachments
Screenshot_20160906-163348.png
Strava of the new trail

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 3rd, 2016, 7:17 pm

I crossed Eliot twice yesterday: Westbound up high, and eastbound on the new trail. I doubt I'll ever use the trail again. Too long, too much elevation difference, and a potentially tricky crossing when water is higher. At the route we've been using the last few years, it's almost certainly shorter/faster (but possibly just seems that way because it's more fun and scenic) and the crossing is easier because you can get to braided sections, walking upstream if you want to explore other options. Somebody took the west rope (east rope has been missing a while).

I took a few pics.
Attachments
neweliot0.jpg
The start of the new section, eastbound, just west of the creek (most of the trail is switchbacks downstream).
neweliot1.jpg
I was surprised at how many trees had to be felled for this trail.
neweliot2.jpg
Posh!
neweliot3.jpg
A pretty rough trail in spots, but it gets the job done.
neweliot4.jpg
neweliot5.jpg
Looking up from the new crossing.
neweliot6.jpg
neweliot7.jpg
New crossing is at the right edge of pic.
neweliot8.jpg
From this perspective, the new trail looks a bit sketchy, but it's not terrible. Note the wilderness boundary sign in the yellow circle.
neweliot9.jpg
Nobody will be cutting this switchback!