Eliot Branch Crossing Status (see last post for update)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
rks

Eliot Branch Crossing Status (see last post for update)

Post by rks » August 16th, 2016, 12:56 pm

I was up at cloud cap this week and see they put in the new Eliot crossing. Thought that was some pretty cool news. It's down stream from the old washed out bridge.

adamschneider

Re: eliot creek crossing

Post by adamschneider » August 16th, 2016, 1:40 pm

That's great news... Hopefully someone will post a GPS track soon.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 16th, 2016, 6:32 pm

adamschneider wrote:That's great news...
Agreed. I'm not that enthusiastic, for various reasons, but another option is always good. Next time I'm up there I'll check it out if I have time.

Thanks for the report.

edit: Oh, welcome to OH, rks!

scrambler2

Post by scrambler2 » August 21st, 2016, 12:32 pm

adamschneider wrote:That's great news... Hopefully someone will post a GPS track soon.
Couldn't you just follow the trail?
PCT class of 2012

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 21st, 2016, 1:30 pm

scrambler2 wrote:
adamschneider wrote:That's great news... Hopefully someone will post a GPS track soon.
Some of us rather enjoy having accurate maps...

drm

Post by drm » August 21st, 2016, 2:19 pm

adamschneider wrote:
scrambler2 wrote:
Some of us rather enjoy having accurate maps...
Or maybe you just love your gadgets.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 21st, 2016, 2:54 pm

drm wrote:Or maybe you just love your gadgets.
Oddly enough, I'm NOT a gadget guy. I just like maps, and I can't help but be attracted by a map that automatically says "YOU ARE HERE" on it...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 26th, 2016, 7:01 pm

It's not open yet -- won't be until next summer. The tread on the east side is largely constructed, but there are still some major hazard rocks/stumps along the way and lots of finish work needed before the trail will be open. The west side is still in full construction, including tree-felling, so definitely closed to hikers. Better to just wait until next season.

Tom

abeizen1

Timberline Trail Elliot creek new trail report

Post by abeizen1 » August 29th, 2016, 6:12 am

Good Morning all,
Just got back from hiking the TT Thurs-Sun. I met some Forestry guys on the Cooper Spur side who said the trail was very close to finished (had a few hundred yards left to bring the new trail to the existing TT trail on the Cooper Spur side but that there was marking tape through that area that I was welcome to follow and then to feel free to use the trail. There was a sign that the trail was closed, then pink and orange/white flags, then the trail, finished as promised. Lots of switchbacks and very dusty but a good trail and a good place to cross the river right at the exit of the trail on Elliot Creek. I crossed at the ropes two years ago and plenty of people were doing so this weekend as well, and having little difficulty. To do it over again I probably would have gone that route, the new trail added about 1.5 miles but a LOT of elevation, probably 400-500' down, and then the same back up, quite steep and as mentioned dusty. I went that way since since I had kids with me and safety was paramount but it really did add a lot to an already long day (in which Dad was exhausted at the end!). In any case, just wanted to let you all know - have fun on the trails!

retired jerry

Re: Timberline Trail Elliot creek new trail report

Post by retired jerry » August 29th, 2016, 6:42 am

thanks

interesting that the trail crew said it was okay

using the ropes from Cooper Spur - up 150 feet, down 100, up 200, down 250 - so it's 350 feet of gain and loss - and 0.7 miles - not that much worse than the new route

on the new route, how was the last 100 feet in and out of the stream? That's the worst part - steep scree slope.