Eliot Branch Crossing Status (see last post for update)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Chase

Re: Timberline Trail Elliot creek new trail report

Post by Chase » August 29th, 2016, 7:07 am

Pictures?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 29th, 2016, 12:45 pm

Those were probably Forest Service contractors, not Forest Service employees -- the trail is still closed, per Mount Hood National Forest.

Tom

Peder

Post by Peder » August 29th, 2016, 2:00 pm

abeizen1 wrote: (in which Dad was exhausted at the end!).
That will please the kids no end and make them eager to join you next time around to fatigue you some more!

Cool that the new trail is finally taking shape.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

rainrunner

Post by rainrunner » August 29th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Tom, we ran into a couple hiking the TT and they said the ranger told them NOT to take the ropes, rather the new route.
Ann :?
The mountains are calling and I must go.
John Muir

biketowork

Post by biketowork » August 31st, 2016, 9:45 am

My family camped out at Cloud Cap Saddle on Wednesday night and I had a chance to chat with some of the contractors. They were eager to both finish and get people on the new trail. They mentioned they were going to do a better job marking it and posting signs to direct people hiking. They also mentioned that despite them finishing soon, and not minding hikers using the trail, that it would not be officially open for a little while.

abeizen1

Post by abeizen1 » September 1st, 2016, 9:54 am

Here are some pics of the new Elliott Creek crossing
Attachments
IMG_6730.jpg
Crossing Elliott Creek
IMG_6729.jpg
Approaching Elliott Creek
IMG_6726.jpg
Looking across at the new trail the leads to Cloud Cap Inn
IMG_6725.jpg
Hiking the new (officially unopened) trail

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 1st, 2016, 10:30 am

Tom, we ran into a couple hiking the TT and they said the ranger told them NOT to take the ropes, rather the new route.
Ann
I checked in with the Hood River Ranger District recreation manager, and she was surprised that the contractors had said that -- they've been expressly told to direct people away from the trail during the construction phase (as there is still tree felling going on, and a lot of other rough hazards on the more finished portions). It's still officially closed, so if trail contractor tells you otherwise, feel free to correct them, per the USFS! But my advice continues to be: wait 'til next summer. There are plenty of other trails to hike on Mount Hood, after all!

Tom :)

Splintercat

Re: Eliot Branch Crossing Status

Post by Splintercat » September 4th, 2016, 7:49 am

Merging these topics.

Tom

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 8th, 2016, 12:01 pm

I just did this

I would recommend the new route. It's essentially done - just a couple bumpy places to level out.

The contractors said I was fine.

From the West side, traffic is directed to the new route - there are branches across the old trail

From the East side there's a "trail closed sign" but it doesn't say "no trespassing" or anything

It's just a typical Mt Hood trail - good tread with few rocks or anything. Except for the Eliot crossing, but it's not too bad especially compared to other stream crossings. Really good job by the Forest Service.

New route is an extra 150 feet of elevation loss and gain, and maybe a little further, but the trail is so much easier it's worth it. No question.

I don't know what to say about the official administration recommendation that the trail is closed.

Eventually, someone was going to get hurt crossing at the ropes. There was some risk from a rock falling on you or a rock slide. New trail so much better.

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 8th, 2016, 1:48 pm

Good enough for RJ, good enough for me. :mrgreen:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider