TKO work party report, Clackamas River Trail, 5-17-16

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Nurse Elaine

TKO work party report, Clackamas River Trail, 5-17-16

Post by Nurse Elaine » May 19th, 2016, 11:06 am

Note: I am having challenges getting pictures to post but want to post this work party report. Once I figure out the picture issue, I will edit it and re-post.

On this work party, we initially focused on further stabilization of a section of trail in the wilderness that was damaged when a tree fell and pulled the trail away. We have worked there twice before this season. Last time we peeled a large log and stored it in the root ball crater for future use. This time, we used straps to pull it into place and anchored it as an additional crib log to stabilize the trail.

We then worked up the trail and did some improvements:

Moved the bank back to allow easier access under a fallen log. On another work party, more work can be done at this site.

We did some tread improvements as we went along. The last thing we did was to move a large rock that was forcing hikers to the outside of the trail. It was moved relatively easily using a PickMattock and some good leg pushing! We were able to move it to the outside of the trail, allowing hikers to walk along the much safer inside margin of the trail.

An important factor to note on the upper section of this trail is the amount of poison oak downriver from The Narrows in the vegetative areas of the trail. It is right on the trail in many areas so if you hike there be prepared with long pants, long sleeves, and Technu when you get home, if you are sensitive to poison oak.

We have not been getting many volunteers to work on this trail and could always use more help. It's a ways out for Portland folks but it is beautiful! We've worked on the heavily damaged areas and will be going out again later to do more routine tread maintenance. We hope to have a weekend overnight trip later in the summer to work on the 1/4 mile access to Pup Creek Falls which is 4 miles in from either direction on this trail.

bobcat

Re: TKO work party report, Clackamas River Trail, 5-17-16

Post by bobcat » May 19th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Great work again, Elaine! I always learn from your detailed descriptions of each project.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 20th, 2016, 5:49 am

Nurse Elaine wrote:On this work party, we initially focused on further stabilization of a section of trail in the wilderness that was damaged when a tree fell and pulled the trail away. We have worked there twice before this season. Last time we peeled a large log and stored it in the root ball crater for future use. This time, we used straps to pull it into place and anchored it as an additional crib log to stabilize the trail.

This spot?
Attachments
trashed.jpg

Twistedlarch

Post by Twistedlarch » May 21st, 2016, 9:07 pm

Brings back memories. I used to be a part of the fire crew that worked out of Ripplebrook from 1993-1998. Every Spring our crew would head out and clear trails all over the district, the CRT was one of my favorites. We'd take a crew of 10 and ride the cable car across the river at about the midway point, split into groups of 5. One group up river and the other down. We ran into a lot of challenges on the CRT.

Brian

gratefultrails

Post by gratefultrails » May 22nd, 2016, 1:21 pm

Hiked Fish Creek TH to Pup Creek Falls last weekend. The trail looks like it had some recent work done, so I imagine that was one of the previous work parties you've posted trip reports about. Thank you!

The trail to Pup Creek isn't too bad if I remember correctly, but I imagine maintenance is a constant battle in prevention.

Karla

Post by Karla » May 23rd, 2016, 7:37 pm

When is the next work party planned? We live close by and would be willing to help out. Probably will be able to get a few more locals to help as well. If there is anything specific needed, let me know.

Shoofly

Post by Shoofly » June 6th, 2016, 4:40 pm

The next Clackamas River Trail work party is scheduled for Tuesday, June 14. You can check out the full description and sign up to volunteer at www.trailkeepersoforegon.org/events.

Thank you!