Surveyor Ridge from Dufur Mill Road Blowdown

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
mileagemike25000

Surveyor Ridge from Dufur Mill Road Blowdown

Post by mileagemike25000 » May 16th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Just wanted to report that my wife and I hiked Surveyor Ridge north from Dufur Mill Road on May 7 and experienced a huge amount of blowdown! My wife counted 17 downed trees in a half mile, closer to the beginning of the hike. We looped around on the abandoned road (look at red on map) and found many more trees blown down. Probably 50+ trees seen down on this hike, and not a fun day. :o
Surveyor Ridge.jpg
IMG_3732_(1).JPG
IMG_3733_(1).JPG
IMG_3734_(1).JPG
IMG_3735_(1).JPG
IMG_3736_(1).JPG
IMG_3741_(1).JPG
IMG_3743_(1).JPG
IMG_3744_(1).JPG
IMG_3748_(1).JPG

sprengers4jc

Re: Surveyor Ridge from Dufur Mill Road Blowdown

Post by sprengers4jc » May 16th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Yikes! Was hoping to get up there soon but that ain't happenin'. Thanks for the update. Sorry if it ruined your hike :(
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » May 17th, 2016, 8:02 pm

I'm glad the info helped! It wasn't a horrible hike, just another interesting experience, which makes for good stories. :D I had a small saw that helped us get by most areas but a few locations were impassable. If you're really interested in the area you could always drive on Surveyor Ridge Rd. and scope out parts of the trail that may be in good shape. We saw trucks driving on the road so I would hope the road is clear, but don't hold me to that. At least you could go to an area where there is a view of Mt. Hood. I will personally wait as the mountain bikers, Forest Service or Trail Maintenance Groups are more likely to clear the trail in the coming weeks, maybe?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 18th, 2016, 6:44 am

mileagemike25000 wrote:If you're really interested in the area you could always drive on Surveyor Ridge Rd. and scope out parts of the trail that may be in good shape. We saw trucks driving on the road so I would hope the road is clear, but don't hold me to that.
I drove Fir Mountain Road and Surveyors Ridge Road in late April and while trees were down all had been cleared.

Charley

Post by Charley » May 18th, 2016, 11:10 am

I bet the HRATS will be on that soon. It's a favorite local trail for riding.

https://hrats.org/
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » May 18th, 2016, 7:08 pm

Webfoot - Glad to hear that work has already been done on other sections of the trail! :) I hope what I saw didn't occur during another wind storm after your visit. Thanks for the info!

Charley - I looked at the HRATS site and it doesn't appear to me they've been active recently and I didn't see any planned events in the calendar?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 19th, 2016, 1:12 am

mileagemike25000 wrote:Webfoot - Glad to hear that work has already been done on other sections of the trail! :) I hope what I saw didn't occur during another wind storm after your visit. Thanks for the info!
Not the trail, the road. I did hike a short bit north of Shellrock Mountain two days ago and saw no windfall, but that might be because it would blow the other direction?