So there's this rumor about Eagle Creek closing...

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Markh752

Re: So there's this rumor about Eagle Creek closing...

Post by Markh752 » March 12th, 2016, 12:43 pm

I understand what you're saying reired jerry. But the article comes off similar to your "for the rest of us, the trail is closed at Tish Creek" comment. It makes it sound as if going beyond Tish Creek is a no-no. But it was mentioned in one of the articles that it's fine to hike from the other side all the way to Tish Creek. So the only thing that's closed is the bridge. I get that they don't want 300 people each day eroding the banks of the creek to avoid the bridge. I also get that they don't want inexperienced and under prepared people crossing the creek. I think that Peder's photo illustrates that. I would have walked across the creek at it's widest and shallowest spot vs trying to cross on those logs. People have been crossing the creek for three of the wettest months of the year and I'm somehow supposed to believe that the crossing is going to get worse as summer approaches? I'll do my part and not hike the trail until a new bridge is put in.
This is one of the more popular hikes in the Gorge and the FS needs to expedite replacing the bridge. A temporary replacement should be put in before the weather turns nice. Or at least before Memorail Day weekend when the "hiking season" begins. :lol:
Anyways, I think that you and I are thinking along the same lines. Were're just having a communication break down. ;)

retired jerry

Re: So there's this rumor about Eagle Creek closing...

Post by retired jerry » March 12th, 2016, 2:09 pm

ha, ha,... yeah, no disagreement or negative energy that I detect :P

That trail often has a lot of inexperienced people. Familes with small children that don't do much hiking. I can see why the Forest Service has "closed" this.

I would never go somewhere that really bugged the authorities, whether it's closed or not.