REWARD: End the Tanner Creek Ivy Outbreak!

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Splintercat

REWARD: End the Tanner Creek Ivy Outbreak!

Post by Splintercat » February 16th, 2016, 9:41 pm

If you're looking to help out the Gorge a bit AND collect a surprise bounty from yours truly, here's the deal: head out to the Wahclella Falls trailhead and pull the ivy shown in these two photos, then be the first to post a photo on this thread showing your handiwork -- it's that easy. The bounty includes the exclusive Friend of Nature virtual certificate PLUS a highly collectible hiking keepsake you'll love owning.

Here are the two patches of ivy -- both a short walk from the Wahclella Trailhead. Print these out:

The first patch is along the service road that leads to the hatchery dam on Tanner Creek (on the way to Wahclella Falls). The ivy patch is across the road from the dam and includes the tree shown in the photo and a small patch marked just below the tree. The second patch is along a section of the old highway just across the historic Tanner Creek Bridge from the Wahclella Falls trailhead -- you can see the trailhead in the photo, through the trees and across the creek.

So, if you haven't pulled ivy before, here's how it works:

1. Wear gloves, and after pulling vertical vines gently follow the vines along the ground to make sure you get all of the roots.

2. Carry the vines back to the trailhead in a plastic trash bag.

3. Deposit the vines in your green composting bin when you get home.

Be sure to take a few photos in order to collect your bounty -- first in wins!

Tom :D

miah66

Re: REWARD: End the Tanner Creek Ivy Outbreak!

Post by miah66 » February 17th, 2016, 9:54 am

Sean

Perhaps this is a candidate for the planned trail cleanup? It makes me afraid to think about the ivy taking over the gorge like it has most of the West hills.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 20th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Well, no takers thus far... so I'll add a THIRD (but small) outbreak that I can't believe I missed earlier -- right next to the trailhead sign!

The reward still stands, for anyone looking to do a good deed for Tanner Creek..!

Tom :)

Dave Rappoccio

Post by Dave Rappoccio » March 22nd, 2016, 11:59 am

I AM HERE TO CLAIM MY BOUNTY

I ignored this post when I first saw it because I naturally assumed someone else (or you) would beat me to it, but after seeing your recent return trip report and statement that nobody had done it yet, I took the task on myself since I had some free time Tuesday morning and needed to get away from my desk.

I don't know if I got it all. I doubt I did. I used to clean ivy in my yard all the time as a kid in Maryland so I know how sneaky that stuff is, and some of the roots were very long. There is still a little ivy left on the tree near the dam, but I managed to separate it from the roots on the ground so it should die. That was hard to reach due to the position on the hill.

I noticed a few small strands you didn't mention (One thicket near the trailhead sign, off to the right of your photo behind the picnic table, one tiny thread halfway up the service road, and a little extra located near the rock). Here are pictures of the piles I made cleaning it up as proof!

The Tree near the Dam

The picnic table/Trailhead

The rock near the 400

My trash bag was full and about 15 pounds by the time I finished the rock part. But on the way back I noticed something else, on the side of the creek next to the bridge (Right on the trailhead side of the bridge) was this monster you somehow never saw:

Yeah, I didn't bother with that one. That's a far bigger job than one guy with a small trash bag and an hour to kill. You need a few people with a lot of time for this bad boy.

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 22nd, 2016, 1:39 pm

Nice work! Thanks for taking the time to do that. That last pic: :shock:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 22nd, 2016, 1:53 pm

Dave Rappoccio wrote:I AM HERE TO CLAIM MY BOUNTY
:lol:

Nice work!
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 22nd, 2016, 4:10 pm

nice!

nothing makes me feel better than ripping out ivy :)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 22nd, 2016, 6:41 pm

Bravo, Dave! :D :D :D :D

First order of business, your custom Oregon Hikers Friend of Nature Award -- to print and stick to your fridge:

Well done! You join a select group of award winners who went the extra mile to take care of our public lands! :)

...and now for your bounty, a (now rare) copy of Don & Roberta Lowe's 1986 classic "50 Hiking Trails" -- this is the coveted edition that includes a bunch of lesser-known and nearly-lost trails (and helped keep them alive in the process). This nearly perfect copy also has the distinction of being signed by Roberta Lowe just a few weeks ago, and personally donated to TKO and Oregon Hikers:

Thanks for stepping up, Dave! I'll circle back via a PM to get your prize to you.

Tom :)

Dave Rappoccio

Post by Dave Rappoccio » March 22nd, 2016, 6:56 pm

Holy crap, I was expecting a button or something, that's awesome

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 22nd, 2016, 7:54 pm

Fixed that for ya: