Wildcat Mt. Trail Closed- Permanently

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
NW Yeti

Wildcat Mt. Trail Closed- Permanently

Post by NW Yeti » August 18th, 2015, 9:10 am

:( I'm sorry to say, due to continuous vandalism, illegal dumping of garbage and hazardous waste and the illegal cutting down of trees, Wildcat Mt. has been closed permanently. This was a HQ decision from Salem. Access to the Wildcat Mt. Trail is gained either from the Douglas Trail or park near the gate and hike the road to the trailhead.
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!

greenjello85

Re: Wildcat Mt. Trail Closed- Permanently

Post by greenjello85 » August 18th, 2015, 10:35 am

Just mcintyre ridge or the gravel pit TH as well? Is the only access to Douglas ridge via eagle creek?
Thanks for the info
Dan

NW Yeti

Post by NW Yeti » August 19th, 2015, 12:00 am

No, Douglas has its own TH off of Wildcat Mt. Rd, 50 feet from the green Forest Service gate.
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 29th, 2015, 7:32 am

The decision is understandable, but my fear is that the illegal dumpers and tree cutters will simply move their activities to a new FS road and the chances are high they will ruin another recreation area in the process.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 25th, 2015, 11:15 am

Sadly I never made it to Wildcat Mountain. Could you please provide a map of which roads and trails are still open, and which are now closed?

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 25th, 2015, 10:56 pm

Posting from my phone, so it'll be short.

Check this trip.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22906

Douglas trailhead is open and you can go out McIntyre from there too.
This FG page has been recently updated
http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... ntain_Hike
- Michael

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 27th, 2015, 4:53 pm

So it's still accessible? That's great! What exactly has been closed then? Only the parking area right before the short torn up bit of road leading to the the quarry?

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 27th, 2015, 5:04 pm

The trailhead towards the north end of McIntyre ridge is the one that's closed.
http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Trailhead

IMO, I think the FG is a little confusing on this closure.
- Michael

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 27th, 2015, 9:19 pm

I never knew there was a trailhead in the middle of McIntyre ridge. I wish I had as I would have liked to do a point to point shuttle hike from there. I thought road 3626 was already closed past road 105 (to the quarry) before this summer. It seemed to me that one was funneled to a single destination (the quarry) following Wildcat Mountain Drive into the MHNF?

I am sorry to say I recall seeing dumping on 105 as well, which is why I jumped to the conclusion that that was the area that had been closed. I just read the thread about the vandalism to Sherrard Point and I am sickened. In this age there must be a way to keep these areas under surveillance and apprehend the culprits on the way out at least. Is no one dealing with this?

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » November 28th, 2015, 12:35 am

That's a whole other discussion. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out the mentality of "locals" and why they destroy so much. I think it's not really locals, because the locals are close enough to care, it's people who are a specific distance from the area that they can get there easily but far enough away that they can ruin things with impunity. It's a mindset, based on a lot of things including education and culture (and maybe some amount of intoxicants).

Working in wildlife biology, I would often seek out the best views to car camp and invariably someone would have been there recently and completely trashed the best place around. I've never understood that part of it.

Anyway, you can still drive up to Douglas Trailhead and hike into Wildcat and McIntyre. You'll see the gate on the old road on the way in.
- Michael