Welcome lakes and west lake way

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
greenjello85

Welcome lakes and west lake way

Post by greenjello85 » August 14th, 2015, 9:38 am

The welcome lakes and west lake trails have countless trees down on them and could really use some help before they disappear. Every trail in the botw needs the brush cut back. I can dream if I want to :)
Dan

mattisnotfrench

Re: Welcome lakes and west lake way

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 18th, 2015, 11:05 am

I'm leading a Mazama backpack into the area this weekend. After some discussion with Mazama HQ, we've decided to bring some tools and see if we can at least brush out some of these trails, particularly the section between Lower and Upper Welcome Lakes. I doubt we'll get all that much done, but I'm hoping to take some time and do as much as we can.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 18th, 2015, 1:49 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:I'm leading a Mazama backpack into the area this weekend. After some discussion with Mazama HQ, we've decided to bring some tools and see if we can at least brush out some of these trails, particularly the section between Lower and Upper Welcome Lakes. I doubt we'll get all that much done, but I'm hoping to take some time and do as much as we can.
That's good to hear! My wish: Flag or mark the last 1/8 mile to the motherlode creek crossing from the Battle Creek shelter to the Geronimo Trail #557. The alignment is way off from what the map shows and there isn't signage or flagging (or insufficient).

Trip Report
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 18th, 2015, 5:58 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:I'm leading a Mazama backpack into the area this weekend. After some discussion with Mazama HQ, we've decided to bring some tools and see if we can at least brush out some of these trails, particularly the section between Lower and Upper Welcome Lakes. I doubt we'll get all that much done, but I'm hoping to take some time and do as much as we can.
Awesome, Thanks in advance for the work. That section of trail between upper & lower welcome lakes needs some good work. Parts of the trail are barely visible now

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » August 19th, 2015, 11:14 am

We'll do what we can. Hopefully that's a lot!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » August 19th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Nice! Thanks Matt and mazamas! One low effort high impact thing would be to cut the small 2-3" trees that have curled over the trail. They are almost easier to cut than walk around if you have a small saw at hand. They are hardened from the heat so I almost fell on my rear when I tried to break them and my saw was on my backpack :)

Miah, I posted a picture of my track from my last trip that is on the trail the whole time. The key is to follow the trail all the way to the end before crossing battle creek. After crossing look to your left as the trail heads up stream for 20 feet before heading into the forest. From this trail the motherlode crossing was clearly marked.