Eagle Creek trail at Tunnel Falls

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
drm

Eagle Creek trail at Tunnel Falls

Post by drm » August 9th, 2015, 4:24 pm

I did a 3-day loop of Herman and Eagle Creeks this weekend and rain into this rather serious trail damage near Tunnel Falls where new routes head down to the base of the falls. One pic looks at the damage to the trail, where it has eroded the majority of the width of the trail. If you look closely, you can see a red rope tied near the top of the root that makes it easier for people to use this steep slide. I should have removed it. The second pic looks at the damage from across the canyon. The damage in the first photo is the narrower route on the left it the second photo. I was last out this way in June and I don't remember seeing this then, or did I just forget?
ewh 2.jpg
Trail damage from the top
ewh 3.jpg
trail damage from across the canyon

NW Yeti

Re: Eagle Creek trail at Tunnel Falls

Post by NW Yeti » August 16th, 2015, 5:18 am

It's still there. This Saturday marks my third hike there in a row. A lot of people, including Boy Scouts of America, have been descending down via that rope to take their breaks down at the bottom.
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 17th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Wow that's surprising. I know there is damage near Punchbowl, but I hadn't seen this before.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

drm

Post by drm » August 18th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Somebody should remove that rope. That trail is going to erode and it's going to take a lot of work to make it passable once that erosion goes the width of the trail. It's essentially going to require some kind of bridge.