Frog Pond/Cameron Meadows

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
siskiyoudaniel

Frog Pond/Cameron Meadows

Post by siskiyoudaniel » August 5th, 2015, 10:18 am

I completed the Frog Pond - Cameron Meadows loop in the Red Buttes Wilderness, Rogue River NF (#68 in Sullivan's Southern Oregon Book) this past weekend (8/2/15). Traveling counter-clockwise, starting at the Frog Pond TH the trail is in good shape until after the ponds where it gets a little sparse/hard to follow, although there are some small cairns in places. Once through the meadows and descending down towards the road (1040) the Cameron Meadows trail is quite overgrown in places and looks to be used much more by bears than people. For a while (maybe 2/3 mile at/near the top) I was unsure whether I was on the trail or a game path. At one point there was a tunnel of brush that required some creative maneuvering to get through. The next 3/4-1 mile of descent, when getting back into the more heavily forested section of trail had a number of blowdowns (15 or so?) making a pretty good mess of the trail. The last mile was pretty clear/easy back to the road.

I would be happy to go out with a crew to help clear up this trail. It's a lovely wilderness and it was easy to imagine this trail disappearing over the next couple of years without some love.

daniel dot qrv at gmail

Cheers

retired jerry

Re: Frog Pond/Cameron Meadows

Post by retired jerry » August 5th, 2015, 11:24 am

Thanks for the report. This is on my list for shoulder season - a little warmer, drier, earlier to melt out than around here.