Less deadfall this year at Badger Creek Wilderness.

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Barb Adams

Post by Barb Adams » June 23rd, 2015, 11:37 am

Finally, after years of cutting logs in Badger Creek Wilderness, this year there were NOT AS MANY. Our Columbia Gorge Back Country Horsemen volunteers were able to clear Badger Creek Trail #479 from Bonney Crossing to Badger Lake, Post Camp Trail #467, and Badger Cutoff Trail #477. There is still work to be done, but you won't have to spend 11 miles crawling over logs on Badger Creek Trail this year.

You can also hike from Post Camp Trailhead to Flag Point using Post Camp, Badger Creek and Badger Cutoff Trails. Enjoy one of the excellent viewpoints at Flag Point to take a break or eat lunch.

What other trails do you want to see cleared in Badger Creek Wilderness?
Attachments
jackson.jpg
Jackson helps get the job done.
mile 8.jpg
Flash at mile 8 Badger Creek Trail
bear grass.jpg
Bear Grass in thin near Post Camp Trailhead.
snag sap.jpg
Snag on Badger Cutoff Trail.

Koda

Re: Less deadfall this year at Badger Creek Wilderness.

Post by Koda » June 23rd, 2015, 12:18 pm

thank you for the hard work clearing our trails, especially 477 as this offers an excellent loop hike through the wilderness area. The last time I hiked this wilderness 477 was very overgrown and 479 had relentless blowdown.

One quick question can you tell me how much or what percentage of funds do you get to clear trails from the Northwest Forest Pass revenue?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Barb Adams

Post by Barb Adams » June 23rd, 2015, 12:31 pm

We do not get any funds to help us with trail clearing from the Northwest Forest Pass Revenue or from anywhere else.

All of our time and gas (for chainsaws if not wilderness, or to pull our stock trailers) is donated by the volunteers doing the actual trail work. In our BCH Columbia Gorge Chapter all of the tools, such as crosscut saws, are owned by members.

Thanks for asking.

barb

Koda

Post by Koda » June 23rd, 2015, 12:43 pm

Barb, thank you for replying thats all I was curious about.

The Badger Creek is a beautiful wilderness with some of the best hiking and backpacking close to Portland. Hikers owe the Columbia Gorge Back Country Horsemen a huge thank you for all the hard work. Thank you.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 23rd, 2015, 2:32 pm

Barb Adams wrote:All of our time and gas (for chainsaws if not wilderness, or to pull our stock trailers) is donated by the volunteers doing the actual trail work. In our BCH Columbia Gorge Chapter all of the tools, such as crosscut saws, are owned by members.
WOW. Thank you for donating your time and labor to clear trails. That is very generous of you, and you have my thanks! :D

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 23rd, 2015, 5:25 pm

Thank you so much Barb!!
Your group does excellent work, which I have appreciated quite a bit over the years.

What other trails do you want to see cleared in Badger Creek Wilderness?

The Tygh Creek Trail could use some work if you guys are looking for it.
The trail really could use some brushing & detailing in the ponderosa pine meadows near the middle section. Parts of the trail are nearly invisible now.

Thank you again :D

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » June 23rd, 2015, 5:59 pm

Thanks! I second Tygh Creek for clearing. That trail needs some love. I'd also love to see the Douglas Cabin Trail cleared, though I suspect that's probably more work than you want to put in for such an obscure trail.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

miah66

Post by miah66 » June 24th, 2015, 10:57 am

Thanks so much for the trailwork! We trail users of all stripes really appreciate people such as yourself and those in your group doing the heavy lifting!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

drm

Post by drm » June 24th, 2015, 11:18 am

As a regular user of this trial, my appreciation too. Please give Jackson an apple or a carrot or whatever he prefers, for me.

It was a light winter all over, with the various groups that maintain trails, whether government or volunteer, saying that the work is lighter this year.

Rather B Hiking

Post by Rather B Hiking » June 24th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Thanks so much for doing all this work!