Horse damage to bridge

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
bushwhacker

Horse damage to bridge

Post by bushwhacker » April 23rd, 2015, 2:19 pm

It appears that someone on horse back rode up the Foxglove trail, over Devils Rest and exited at that short cutoff
spur trail that gets you to the Mult. Basin Road. Not exactly sure where they entered. I just picked up the horse tracks
at the Foxglove junction so it must have been some where between Angles Rest and the Foxglove junction.

Any way the issue is that they went across one of those small bridges and you can tell where the horse broke through
the bridge in a number of places. This would be the first small bridge as you come down from Devils Rest headed East.
The pictures show the bridge and where I tried to get a picture of the horse track on the opposite side (East side) of the bridge.
These looked like pretty recent tracks. Like within the last day or two. Amazed that the horse didn't get injured.

I did swing by the Forest Service Info center at Mult. Falls and report this and will be forwarding these pic's to them as requested.
Attachments
008b.jpg
007b.jpg
006b.jpg

Guy

Re: Horse damage to bridge

Post by Guy » April 23rd, 2015, 3:57 pm

Yikes, lucky the horse didn't break a leg.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 23rd, 2015, 8:54 pm

Were there other signs of horses on the trail (e.g., shoe prints or manure)? I can't imagine a competent horse owner riding across a bridge like that... much less on a trail that isn't open to horses. Could it be simple vandalism..?

Tom

Lurch

Post by Lurch » April 23rd, 2015, 11:06 pm

if it was a horse I think it's more likely they they came up/down palmer, possibly through bridal veil plateau.

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » April 24th, 2015, 5:45 am

Splintercat wrote:Were there other signs of horses on the trail (e.g., shoe prints or manure)? I can't imagine a competent horse owner riding across a bridge like that... much less on a trail that isn't open to horses. Could it be simple vandalism..?

Tom
I followed the horse tracks up from Foxglove and over Devils Rest. They were pretty obvious due to the soft ground. Here's a couple of feeble attempts at pictures of the horse tracks at the East end of that bridge.

I talked with the FS again yesterday afternoon and I guess they sent a ranger up there to check it out. Not sure was all they can do other then to put up some signs and hope that who every is doing this can read. This isn't the first time I have seen horse tracks through this area.
Attachments
010b.jpg
009b.jpg

trailupdater

Post by trailupdater » May 18th, 2015, 4:12 pm

The Forest Service and Multnomah County Adult Community Services crew was up there today taking it apart. Re-building will happen tomorrow.

Peder

Post by Peder » May 18th, 2015, 7:11 pm

trailupdater wrote:The Forest Service and Multnomah County Adult Community Services crew was up there today taking it apart. Re-building will happen tomorrow.
Wonderful and so many thank yous! :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

trailupdater

Post by trailupdater » May 21st, 2015, 12:17 pm

The bridge has been replaced. The interesting thing is that the cedar sills, which were last installed in 1994, were completely solid, so we were able to reuse them. They stay so completely wet all year that it is an anaerobic environment and fungus cannot grow. Typical wisdom says to keep your sills out of ground contact, but in this case they did fine completely wet.
IMG_8148.jpg
IMG952395.jpg

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » May 21st, 2015, 3:33 pm

I was through there myself today. Looks fantastic! Should be good for the next 100 years :D Thanks for all your effort.
IMG_0376b.jpg

miah66

Post by miah66 » May 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am

Or until the next horsepacker comes through. :roll:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider