Gifford Pinchot N.F. Trail Reports

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
trailcrew25

Gifford Pinchot N.F. Trail Reports

Post by trailcrew25 » April 5th, 2015, 2:34 pm

Anyone got any trail reports from the Gifford Pinchot N.F. , I'm particularly looking for ones from the Mt. Adams District. Quartz creek, Lewis river, Indian Heaven/Mt. Adams Wilderness, Silver Star, Siouxon, . Were starting our logout and the more information the better, e.g. tree dia. and where there at. If you want, you can pm me at [email protected]
Thanks,

Eric Peterson

Re: Gifford Pinchot N.F. Trail Reports

Post by Eric Peterson » April 5th, 2015, 2:44 pm

Did a Silver Star from Grouse Vista TH and it was clear of any blow down in mid February.

drm

Post by drm » April 5th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Was up on Snipes Mtn mid-winter and it needed a lot of work. Dozens of trees down the first few miles. It all seemed pretty clear after the Forest Way junction.

Did a loop of the Morrison / Crofton Ridge / Gotchen trails about a month ago. A decent scattering of trees down. But I think the equestrian groups get some of those trails?

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 5th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Only two trees down on Little Huckleberry: one before, one after the 1 1/2 mile marker. The 2nd one a 12" snag; the first about 18".

Lower Lewis River Trail: I wrote these down on a separate paper but lost my notes: a handful of trees down, I think mostly scattered between Speed Trail Camp and Spencer Creek. The biggest is two trees together, one 12", one 24".

hiker39

Post by hiker39 » April 6th, 2015, 2:48 pm

Did the north end of Indian Heaven 2 weeks ago and was able to hike the Sawtooth Mt loop - Roads were fine and trail had fresh snow - maybe 2 inches deep - no snowshoes or micro spikes needed.

Hiked Observation peak (trapper creek wilderness) via the trailhead off road 5800 - trail was 90% snow covered but not deep - one section with 3 inch deep snow that maybe lasted 1/2 mile - I only used micro spikes for a bit coming off the peak but didn't need them for 95% of the trail. Summit was bare. Probably didn't need them at all but decided to use them anyway just as a precaution. Road 64 is open!

mountainkat

Post by mountainkat » April 6th, 2015, 4:01 pm

We hiked from the Trapper Creek TH in late February for about four miles, just past the Sunshine Trail junction. We encountered at least two spots with significant blowdown within the first couple miles - very large trees, several feet in diameter. The bridge over the little creek past the Sunshine Trail junction (I think it is Hidden Creek) has been moved by water at some point. It is angled, super slippery, and very dangerous.

In early March, we hiked in Indian Heaven on the PCT to Indian Racetrack and Red Mountain Lookout. I don't remember any significant blowdown on those trails.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » April 6th, 2015, 6:05 pm

The Soda Peaks Lake trail from Trapper Creek had a huge multi-tree pileup about 2/3 of the way from the creek to the lake. That was on January 11. There are at least two trees involved with 3 foot diameters. It was difficult to get around it because the way to go is not obvious, trail completely hidden.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » April 7th, 2015, 8:30 pm

We did the upper Soda Peaks Trail from the 54 Rd. Generally in great shape. One huge tree (3 1/2ft dia??) across the trail at about 1 mile in. There is just enough room to sneak under it.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 23rd, 2015, 11:40 am

Mods: Please consider moving this thread to Trail Rx. It's very hard to find in Trip Reports! (A subject rename might help, too.)
trailcrew25 wrote:Anyone got any trail reports from the Gifford Pinchot N.F. , I'm particularly looking for ones from the Mt. Adams District. Quartz creek, Lewis river, Indian Heaven/Mt. Adams Wilderness, Silver Star, Siouxon, . Were starting our logout and the more information the better, e.g. tree dia. and where there at.
Really nasty one - on the Siouxon Trail - in this trip report... http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... =8&t=21528
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 24th, 2015, 7:22 am

Thanks, Karl!

Tom :-)