Gifford Pinchot N.F. Trail Reports

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
leiavoia

Re: Gifford Pinchot N.F. Trail Reports

Post by leiavoia » April 24th, 2015, 10:06 pm

I did the first 6 miles of Quartz Creek March 27, 2015. The bridge at the beginning is out (easy go-around), and the creeks are all very high. Getting across required scootching across very skinny logs or being willing to get completely drenched. Water is ice cold. There was one or two large trees on steep sections that blocked the trail that required hands-on workarounds.
Attachments
IMG_4789-s.jpg

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » April 29th, 2015, 12:48 pm

leiavoia wrote:I did the first 6 miles of Quartz Creek March 27, 2015. The bridge at the beginning is out (easy go-around), and the creeks are all very high. Getting across required scootching across very skinny logs or being willing to get completely drenched. Water is ice cold. There was one or two large trees on steep sections that blocked the trail that required hands-on workarounds.
Hi leiavoia, we have a volunteer crew staging out of the lower falls campground at the end of May and we may be able to drop in a couple sawyers to cut out those logs. Can you describe a few things for me?

About how large where they - could you wrap your arms around them or where they bigger than at?

Where they single trees or a jumble of two or more trees?

About what part of the trail where they on? (e.g. between Straight Creek and Snagtooth Creek?, or further upstream beyond the jct with the Quartz Creek Butte Trail perhaps?)

If they are on really steep slopes or two complex for our volunteers, then the Forest Service pros might need to make time to take them out.

- any info appreciated, thanks, Ryan
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

meana39

Post by meana39 » May 2nd, 2015, 8:33 am

I just did the Thomas Lake Trail in Indian Heaven yesterday. There were probably 4 or 5 large trees across the trail, but nothing that wasn't easy to get around. I took a couple of photos. Probably 1 1/2 to 2 feet across at most?
blowdown.jpg
blowdown2.jpg
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

trailcrew25

Post by trailcrew25 » May 2nd, 2015, 6:58 pm

Thanks for the tree report, looking like a lite year so far. Did you go to Blue lake? Any snow?

meana39

Post by meana39 » May 4th, 2015, 8:26 am

trailcrew25 wrote:Thanks for the tree report, looking like a lite year so far. Did you go to Blue lake? Any snow?
I only made it a little past rock lake as there was a ton of snow I didn't want to trudge over!
c1.jpg
This is where I turned around.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 6th, 2015, 6:13 pm

Lewis River Trail #139: A couple of 12" Douglas-firs down about half a mile in. Other than that, just some ground level stepovers to the end of the road bed at the third crossing of the East Fork and no obstructions going up the slope!

trailcrew25

Post by trailcrew25 » May 9th, 2015, 7:13 am

Thanks Bobcat for the trip report, The boy scouts put up the new sign board for us. Defiantly looks like the rest of the trail needs a little work.