Good news about the Timberline Trail at Eliot Branch!

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Splintercat

Good news about the Timberline Trail at Eliot Branch!

Post by Splintercat » February 16th, 2015, 10:01 pm

I don't usually promote my blog articles on the forum, but I posted one today that will be of interest to most anyone here:

Good News from the Hood River RD

The first part of the article is a report on a meeting I had in my TKO capacity with the Hood River RD staff a few weeks ago. After years of pursuing a "million dollar bridge" to reconnect the Timberline Trail where it washed out in the mid-90s, new staff at the Hood River RD are now moving forward with a more down-to-earth (literally) solution, with a new trail that will cross the Eliot Branch downstream from the old crossing.

The Forest Service is interested in working with TKO to bring volunteers into the project, which they hope to build in the next 1-2 years -- I'll certainly report back as things develop, but at this point, very welcome news!

Tom :)

Peder

Re: Good news about the Timberline Trail at Eliot Branch!

Post by Peder » February 16th, 2015, 10:15 pm

It would be great if that Eliot crossing could be fixed - that would make life easier for many people. Looking at your pictures, it seems that a visit to the Hood River RS is worthwhile to view the exhibits. Amazing that the Ranger Station cannot be open kept open on summer Sundays! It reminds me of a license plate I saw in Missouri: "4U2WDR"
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 17th, 2015, 6:51 am

The "million dollar suspension bridge" would be cool, but if it's not going to happen...

You've been talking about that lower route for years (?) so I've been scouting it a bit when walking by. It looks like you could probably hike it without any improvements - not too steep or anything. That would be fairly easy to put a trail in? The Dollar Lake fire has burned up the North end a bit, but that wouldn't be a problem.

I wonder how stable the Eliot crossing would be? That's the problem. If year to year, a huge gully is scoured out, it would be difficult to maintain trail. But soil is more stable down below so maybe not a problem. I think the area at the top of the falls is stable and hasn't changed much in recent years. Maybe have the trail go down lower like you were proposing.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 17th, 2015, 7:31 am

Jerry, here's the map I put together with the low route that I proposed, and the green highlighted area roughly covering what the Forest Service is planning -- so, very similar, and I think they made a good call by staying on the ridge on the west side:

Our very own Tim & Melinda explored down there last year in getting a shot of Stranahan Falls, and gave me permission to use their photos of the Eliot Branch in the vicinity of the proposed crossing on the blog -- very manageable, no worse than the Newton crossings or Muddy Fork crossings, and the USFS is planning to use a seasonal bridge (ala the Sandy) for the new trail. So, all very good news!

Charley

Post by Charley » February 17th, 2015, 8:16 am

YAY! Build it!!!!!!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Limey

Post by Limey » February 17th, 2015, 8:40 am

Good news. Maybe the new personnel will also do something about trail maintenance in general. When I saw them start on that renovation my first thought was, so, they can't afford to maintain trails but they can renovate an office? Hopefully a new visitors center will bring in more revenue.

RobinB

Post by RobinB » February 17th, 2015, 10:42 am

Excellent!

Tom, please do let us now about volunteer needs as things move forward. I'll look forward to contributing as much dumb muscle as possible :)

Water

Post by Water » February 17th, 2015, 10:59 am

limey,

same goes for zigzag RD. renovated/new building. must come from a magical different pot.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 17th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Tom, please do let us now about volunteer needs as things move forward.
I will! The USFS is still putting a funding proposal together for the heavy work, but I've encouraged them to include a volunteer element, too. TKO's role will be to organize other advocates and organizations out there, much as we did for the Douglas Trail project last summer.

More to come..!

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » February 17th, 2015, 2:10 pm

The Million Dollar Bridge was a non-starter for more reasons than just money. I will enjoy watching this trail re-route take shape and become reality.

I also would like to see some kind of numbers to determine if the costs of remodeling the ranger stations was worthwhile (more visitors, selling more maps or books, etc.)

Shame they gotta lock up the toilets when the station isn't open. Where'd I put that shovel? ;)
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"