The Munra problem

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Chase

The Munra problem

Post by Chase » January 31st, 2015, 11:09 am

This may have been discussed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

As many of you know, the Munra trail splits in maybe 5 places where the hiker can go on a more gentle switchback or the steeper, faster direct route.

I didn't get great photos, I know. What, if anything should be done to fix this? Or maybe some don't see it as a problem and like the trade-off between erosion and trail options?

(Note: this is a non-numbered, unofficial trail)

raftingdog

Re: The Munra problem

Post by raftingdog » January 31st, 2015, 11:53 am

Munra is not an official trail and various routes happen ...when you think about all the area untracted...why worry about few areas that are?

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 31st, 2015, 3:31 pm

First time I did Munra way back in '11, I didn't even notice all those splits but sure noticed them the last time I did Munra last year.

As long as the little critters aren't getting squished too much, I don't see much of a serious problem as it's unofficial tread.

Just pick up sticks and call it good.

Guy

Post by Guy » January 31st, 2015, 4:42 pm

If I remember correctly the straight up trail is the original Munra Route. Four or Five years ago somebody took on the project & a lot of work of putting those switch backs in on the lower section of the trail.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

raven

Post by raven » February 1st, 2015, 8:34 am

Switchbacks both defeat the purpose of a trip up Munra and assure a lot more ground is impacted by users.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » February 2nd, 2015, 4:34 pm

Guy wrote:If I remember correctly the straight up trail is the original Munra Route. Four or Five years ago somebody took on the project & a lot of work of putting those switch backs in on the lower section of the trail.
I agree with this.
The original route just went straight up.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 2nd, 2015, 5:50 pm

I assume we're just talking about the first wooded bit here... personally, I like to use the direct route on the way up and the switchbacks on the way down.

Chase

Post by Chase » February 2nd, 2015, 7:12 pm

The consensus seems to be that it is only a problem in Chase's head.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » February 2nd, 2015, 7:24 pm

Chase wrote:The consensus seems to be that it is only a problem in Chase's head.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Idk as I've still never been but it sure looks beaten in in your pics.

Eric Peterson wrote:

Just pick up sticks and call it good.

:lol: :lol:

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » February 3rd, 2015, 9:00 pm

adamschneider wrote:I assume we're just talking about the first wooded bit here... personally, I like to use the direct route on the way up and the switchbacks on the way down.
This is what I like to do, as well.

The tread has become more visible the last 4-5 years due to an increase in usage. User-maintained trails tend to take on this characteristic when there are numerous routes to choose from. Munra is probably the most popular spot in the Gorge with a user-maintained trail. Being such a visible landmark combined with easy access and a close-to-Portland quick, fun, workout one has all the ingredients for the tread looking the way it does now. One could take pains to block the original straight up route with logs to encourage use of the switchbacks but that would be quite the endeavor.