Oneonta Slide (part 2)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
trailupdater

Oneonta Slide (part 2)

Post by trailupdater » November 3rd, 2014, 3:09 pm

The slide on the Oneonta Trail at about milepost 1 has returned. This is in the same place that failed last winter but this time affected the temporary steps making access to Triple Falls impassable from the north. Keep this in mind if hiking in from the top (Larch Mtn road closes Nov. 6 by the way) or doing other loops like Larch/Franklin Ridge. The trail is posted. Please pass the word. Edan

Splintercat

Re: Oneonta Slide (part 2)

Post by Splintercat » November 3rd, 2014, 9:09 pm

Thanks for the update, Edan. I just hiked through last Wednesday, and the steps were looking quite sloppy at the time (especially the uphill margin of the steps). Here are a couple of photos of what it looked like last week -- looking north, toward the trailhead:

Looking south from the temporary the steps:

Thanks for all your work on this section! The elements seem to be winning at the moment..! :?

Tom

Lurch

Post by Lurch » November 4th, 2014, 7:52 am

Sooo just to clarify, 424 -> Triple Falls is a no go for right now? Anyone have coordinates for that?

trailupdater

Post by trailupdater » November 4th, 2014, 7:24 pm

I suppose access to Triple Falls from the north is physically possible (for some!), but not at all safe. We already found one person midway through the slide...stuck. This mud is like jello and the site is steep, as you all know from the steps that moved even during the dry summer. I don't have coordinates but it is about 1/4 mile south of the Oneonta/Horsetail Junction. We'll have the geo-engineer look at it again and recommend options. Right now a major re-route would be the most sustainable option. I'm not even sure it is safe to have folks in that slide working...I'd hate to have 3 tons of mud come down on a crew.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » November 4th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Trailupdater said:
We already found one person midway through the slide...stuck.
That's been one of my favorite winter hikes, but right now it sounds like a good place to avoid! Geology is winning, as it often does in the Gorge! Thanks for the update, Edan!

braeburn17

Post by braeburn17 » November 8th, 2014, 3:54 pm

I would definitely avoid the trail to Triple Falls for the time being. I hiked the Horsetail Falls Loop today and wanted to go to Triple Falls as well. Signs were up saying the trail was closed but another couple and I decided to see how bad it was. The hillside is pretty much gone. Photo attached. We turned around as there was no safe passage. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a good while before the trail re-opens.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-08 at 3.58.39 PM.png

trailupdater

Post by trailupdater » December 2nd, 2014, 6:22 pm

This has made it to the list of priorities to get fixed. It will likely take a major re-route to get it done safely so analysis will be done first. Last report by the geologist didn't give too much hope of a permanent (or safe) fix through the existing slide area. Edan.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » December 3rd, 2014, 10:03 am

Ugh! Why must the gorge be so uncooperative this season!?

miah66

Post by miah66 » December 3rd, 2014, 12:11 pm

It really makes you appreciate what a feat the Old Gorge highway is doesn't it? The fact that it mostly exists (where it wasn't blown up for I-84) after all this time is really amazing.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

obera

Post by obera » February 7th, 2015, 6:08 pm

Anybody checked this area out recently? Any new information? I miss doing my ROA to Oneonta loop and have held off from the 'attempt'.
oh-beer-ah