Brand new misleading trail sign at Wahkeena

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
potato

Re: Brand new misleading trail sign at Wahkeena

Post by potato » November 13th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Someone should just make a laminated version of the sign that has the correct information on it, and staple it over the top of the current sign.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Lekilei253

Post by Lekilei253 » November 23rd, 2013, 12:02 am

Saw that sign today...horrible!

Also saw they made a metal sign of the map they hand out at Multnomah falls!! Right next to the monument view point trail...though that little trail was "closed"' but it's still on the map!!

Guy

Post by Guy » December 21st, 2013, 6:38 am

drm wrote:So what has anybody done about this besides writing on some signs? Earlier this year, after the FS changed how to access the trail to Soda Peaks Lake, they had a totally confused message on the website about it. I called them about it and the website message, while not perfect, was changed an improved within a couple of weeks. Sure, that's just the website, but it also was just one phone call.

So rather than just complaining here, I think that Oregon Trailkeepers should send a letter. Maybe get some other organization to sign on.

After seeing this sign on top of Wahkeena for myself last weekend I e mailed the Forest Service, explaining my concern about it being misleading & could lead to even more people getting lost in the area, & if they had nay plans to change it.

I Received No reply, mind you, last time I e mailed them the reply took about 9 months so you never know ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 21st, 2013, 4:52 pm

Moving this over to the Trail Rx forum, as USFS staff do check those threads periodically. Thanks for posting, everyone!

Tom :)

Ron Goodwin

Post by Ron Goodwin » January 17th, 2014, 10:19 am

The switch back number is for the First Aid responders to have an idea where the person is that is hurt. There are actually 12 but Aaron had them leave one off.

Yes, adding the word trail would sure help on the signs but that is why they made magic markers. Best to stop at the Multnomah Falls Visitor Center to get a paper map as we make 20,000 of the loop maps a year for hand outs. Many people come in and get them after the hike so they can see where they have been. It would be great if a map could be posted at main trail junctions but I notice the one at Angels Rest TH has not been replaced.

Gorgehiker62

Post by Gorgehiker62 » January 23rd, 2014, 9:05 am

So what's new?? The signs in this area are horrible! And they have been for a long time, although it seems as if in the last year they have really gone down hill. And trying to get the attention of the Forest Service people in charge is a nightmare. There is a newer person working on trail management (or so I have been told) who is not the sharpest tool, so I think that if you really want to see changes you have to make calls to the appropriate people.

I have tried and tried to contact the Forest Service office in Hood River - which is not easy since it always seems to either be closed or no one is at the front desk. This last summer I met up with some firefighters who were exercising on the trail and they told me to get an email off to the lady who is the area manager. But guess what? I never heard from her! Her name is Lynn Burditt and I think she is still there. When I was in the FS parking lot in Hood River I ran into another person in uniform who told me that he didn't know about the trails! I give up.

Folks, now instead of trying to get anyone to listen and getting frustrated, I just send an email first to Senator Wyden's office and then the regional forester for the entire two state area (OR & WA), Kent Connaughton ([email protected]). I am very impressed with Wyden's office (and I didn't vote for him) because they get back to me on the topic regularly. One of Wyden's aides has actually asked me to keep them updated and I mentioned this board to her. If you don't make these calls, at the very least, you probably just don't care enough.

Brenda - A one woman Gorge hiker team!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 23rd, 2014, 9:42 am

I agree, calling our government representatives is a good thing. Very few people call, so if they hear from you, they assume there are a lot of other people that think the same thing.

I called Hood River Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area and got right through. She asked which trailhead my car was broken into at but she didn't ask for any other details so I sort of got the feeling it was futile to report.

payslee

Post by payslee » January 23rd, 2014, 9:58 am

Gorgehiker62 wrote: If you don't make these calls, at the very least, you probably just don't care enough.

Brenda - A one woman Gorge hiker team!
Welcome to the forum, Brenda.

You might consider why, with this example of persuasive charm, your campaign has not yet been effective.

Warm regards,
payslee

Gorgehiker62

Post by Gorgehiker62 » January 23rd, 2014, 4:27 pm

Yes, you are right. We (I) need to be careful when we make our calls to the forest service office. Believe it or not, after a career in CRM (customer relationship management) I make sure to script my calls beforehand and then I record all of my calls, all of them, because I have had a couple instances with the Hood River gorge office where I was told that I hadn't mentioned something - when I know that I had. This is a common technique in the corporate world in order to maintain consistency and improve communications. And it is very helpful when I am discussing or reporting the situation to a government official or aide who I can hear typing in the background. As we used to preach - "Consistency is king!"

I have found that by preparing myself I am more able to calmly get my point across, even if it is the third time on a single phone call. Recently a Wyden aide took my suggestion and made a call himself (to probably verify what I was explaining about "difficult" customer relations or successful solutions) and he said he experienced a "disturbing conversation with someone who seemed defensive." Apparently he also received a mini explanation of the effects of budget cuts on the forest. However some of my signing and trail complaints have been relayed to the office for over three years now, actually almost 5 years as I look at my notes. But it's my home and I take a serious interest.

Still, I maintain my initial point that there is a great deal of value in calling Wyden's office and I think it's a great way for people to become involved in the "process" of both the government as well as the management of our public land. What does everyone else think?

It was a windy windy day on Dog Mountain today!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 24th, 2014, 8:39 am

Gorgehiker62 wrote:Yes, you are right. We (I) need to be careful when we make our calls to the forest service office. Believe it or not, after a career in CRM (customer relationship management) I make sure to script my calls beforehand and then I record all of my calls, all of them, because I have had a couple instances with the Hood River gorge office where I was told that I hadn't mentioned something - when I know that I had.
You may have have already done so, but be sure to check on the legality of recording phone conversations. If I remember correctly you have to get the consent of the other person if you want to legally record the call.