Gorge Trail #400 - Elowah Falls (Dec 2008)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Splintercat

Gorge Trail #400 - Elowah Falls (Dec 2008)

Post by Splintercat » February 13th, 2009, 11:14 am

This is a combination kudos and update on a trail hazard along the Gorge Trail, west approach to Elowah Falls. First, the kudos -- the PCTA did a FANTASTIC job of rebuilding several sections of the trail where it switchbacks into McCord Creek canyon. There were some sizable slides, tread failures and an ugly boot path that had formed, all repaired expertly by the PCTA volunteers last Spring. Some highlights:

One of the beautifully rebuilt switchbacks - still holding up when I was there with Jamie in December:

Much-needed decommissioning of a boot path cutting through the switchbacks that became much worse when the main trail was temporarily closed - it extended all the way to the large log in the background:

There was also some drainage and tread work below the switchback section, where the trail parallels McCord Creek and approaches the falls that has begun to fail -- and I'm not sure this was even part of the PCTA effort. The trail work involved a piped or possibly rock culvert (couldn't find the pipe) that had blocked, and left a small tributary running down the trail.

When I came across this last Spring, I trenched the trail at the culvert location to at least stop the damage to the lower portions of the trail. But the hazard developed were the diverted stream had eroded a narrow section of trail where a large boulder also protrudes into the path at about hip-level -- the hazard is that if you're watching your feet in this narrow spot, the boulder can easily catch your pack or elbow, and push you toward the edge! This nearly happened to me, and that's when I realized that after about a 15 foot slide, there was a healthy 25-foot vertical drop, below!

Here's a photo of this hazard spot, with the offending boulder on the right:

Here is a wider view, showing the log retaining structure already in place here, and I believe there is even a rock basket under the trail where the culvert was constructed -- the culvert is just off the right side of this image, the narrow spot marked by the "boulder":

These photos were taken last Spring, but the scene was more or less the same when I was up there with Jamie in December.

Because of the potential to slip over the little bluff, it's kind of a sketchy area for a project -- but definitely one that would be nice to take care of for safety reasons, especially given all the winter use that this trail receives in muddy, slippery conditions.

Tom

scrambler2

Re: Gorge Trail #400 - Elowah Falls (Dec 2008)

Post by scrambler2 » February 13th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Thanks Tom. Here is an update. We saw a big trail crew working on that trail the weekend of 1/24 - 1/25/09. They called up to us as we turned of tr400. They needed to close the trail in order to remove rock, repair switchbacks, etc. We went back through the next weekend on our way up Nesmith Ridge and admired their wonderful job. We saw 2 vans in the parking lot that said Multnomah County - probably a crew of 25.

The trail seemed to be in great shape! I did not notice if the boulder area had been fixed but I guess I never noticed it before either.

Paul(&Kate)
PCT class of 2012